Craze behind cat collecting app

Photo by Screen shot from Kristina Lazzara

Neko Atsume: Putting cats in the palm of your hand.

With the influx of cat people on the internet, it was only a matter of time before they adapted to the smartphone universe. Neko Atsume: Kitty Collector is a Japanese concoction and answer to those who want one, or seven, furry, lazy friends on the go. Imagine Nintendogs, but for cats — a lot less interactive and more sleeping.

After months of intense “research” on these digital cats, the goal of the game became clear. Just as the title says: collect those cats. The more toys and food you give as the crazy virtual cat-lady, the little four-legged creatures will come wondering their way to your screen.

Some have lovable names such as Patches and Speckles. However, some exceptionally rare cats are also themed. Fan favorites are Joe DiMeowgio, Saint Purrtrick, Lady Meow-Meow and Mr. Meowgi.

Why exactly is this game so successful? Some say that it’s because many of us were brought up on the “Gotta catch em’ all” attitude, so naturally many became immediately hooked.

“I kept playing it because I was saving up for buying items that I wanted,” said Nicole Claudio, a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences.  “This meant playing every day,”

“It’s fun to play and makes me less stressed out,” said Jean Verdaguer, a junior in the College of Health Sciences.

No matter how you choose to play, casually or obsessively, being a cat lady has never been more allergy-friendly!