Twitter Tuesday: five authors to watch

Twitter Tuesday: five authors to watch
Photo by Twitter.com

Writing is a solitary activity:  just the writer and his or her pen and paper. But in the age of Twitter, your writing is inherently connected in the digital world. It must be hard for someone whose background is in the introverted career of writing to become acclimated to in-your-face-always-at-your-fingertips media like Twitter. Some dive right in, while others don’t really understand the concept. Here are some writers who bridge the gap with flying colors, making them great people to follow on Twitter.

1. J.K. Rowling @jk_rowling

I’ve read almost all of the Rowling’s books and I was an active participant in the Harry Potter hype. Rowling’s feed is interesting, real and personal. It doesn’t seem like she hired a publicist to post for her. She regularly tweets back at people, and with her down to earth personality you would have never known she wrote an extremely popular best-selling book series.

2. Paulo Coelho @paulocoelho

This Brazilian writer of “The Alchemist” is one of the more electronically savvy writers on this list. He has a Twitter, Facebook page and an Instagram. Writing in both English and Portuguese, Coelho tweets frequently about many different topics and even posts pictures. He’s clearly an interesting person and he is fun to watch through his Twitter Feed.

3. John Green @johngreen

Green is a famous author and Youtuber most known for his tear-jerking novel “The Fault in Our Stars,” but his Twitter feed is devoid of such sentimental things. Given that he’s a very current and popular writer, it’s worth it just to follow him and his career through the lens of Twitter. He’s currently on hiatus, but should be tweeting again soon.

4.  Joyce Carol Oates @JoyceCarolOates

Pulizter Prize nominated writer, Joyce Carol Oates, is one of the most influential writers that are alive today. Her first novel was published in 1963, but her writing is as relevant as ever. Ending her career as a Princeton professor in the fall of 2014, she now has more time to tweet, so let’s hope more inspiring words from this author come our way. She writes about her opinions on politics and current events.

5. Stephen King @StephenKing

I have a bias for this Twitter feed because I am a big fan of King’s work. However, I think that’s what Twitter is about, giving people a chance to lurk on their idols. King mostly posts about his opinion of  popular culture, which he is surprisingly in tune with. For example, there was a handful of tweets about Suzanne Collin’s “The Hunger Games” like, “If Katniss Everdeen’s friend Peeta got blown up, would the resulting crater be a Peeta pocket?”