The student news site of Marquette University

Marquette Wire

The student news site of Marquette University

Marquette Wire

The student news site of Marquette University

Marquette Wire

Students react to Schroeder Hall flood after fire hose activation

This article was updated Sept. 28, 2015 at 10:01 p.m.

An intentionally activated fire hose on the 6th floor of Schroeder Hall damaged 18 rooms early this morning and forced students to relocate to other dorms.

The flood started around 2 a.m., which was when residents started being evacuated. The residence hall re-opened around 5 a.m. but is still undergoing repair. There was no evidence of a fire in the hall, according to the Marquette Police Department.

Mary Janz, executive director of the Office of Residence Life, said students in rooms impacted the most were relocated to Cobeen and O’Donnell Hall. She said those students have swipe access to their temporary halls.

Story continues below advertisement

The incident was confirmed in an email from Schroeder Hall Director Ishmael Miller sent to Schroeder residents on Sunday. The flood affected the 6th floor and ones below it. Damage includes holes in the lobby ceiling, a broken elevator and blocked off stairs.

“Water was released from the hose which subsequently activated the fire alarms for the building and did damage to upwards of 18┬ástudent rooms and various common areas,” Miller said in the email.

Cara LaBelle, Schroeder resident and sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences, got water in her room and is sleeping in Cobeen for the time being.

“Schroder has a very musty smell and I have allergies and asthma so it has been hard to walk in the building let alone my own room,” LaBelle said in an email. “Cobeen is not a bad alternative to a musty, unlivable room, however, having to completely switch where my home is overnight, really added another large stressor to my plate.”

Kira Williamson, Schroeder resident and sophomore in the College of Health Sciences, relocated to a teammate’s apartment although her room wasn’t affected.

“I think Schroeder Hall and MUPD are handling it very seriously,” Williamson said in an email. “I feel bad for anyone who had things ruined.”

The situation is being investigated by MUPD and Miller asked Schroeder residents for help with identifying the person or persons responsible.

“Any damaged items have been reported and inventoried,” Miller said in the email. “Numerous university staff members have been actively evaluating the damage, cleaning and restoring the space since very early this morning.”

Allie Duenow, Schroeder resident and sophomore in the College of Nursing, also relocated to an apartment even though her room wasn’t affected.

“Thank goodness I chose to do so because it was over three hours between when the alarm went off and when our RA sent a message in our GroupMe that they were re-opening 7th floor,” Duenow said in an email.

Duenow said Schroeder Hall and MUPD have been keeping residents informed throughout the situation. However, LaBelle said that hasn’t always been the case.

“Every time I have received any information about when my room will be cleaned and back to normal, it was because I coincidentally bumped into a specialist or worker in my room at the time,” LaBelle said in an email.

Claire Smart, Schroeder resident and sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences, said the situation is pretty upsetting.

“To know that it was a student that caused this makes it that much more frustration because it could have been prevented,” Smart said in an email. “It’s a shame people had so much stuff damaged.”

“I’m disappointed and frustrated with the situation and feel like this was 100 percent avoidable and shouldn’t have happened,” Duenow said in an email.

Leave a Comment
More to Discover

Comments (0)

All Marquette Wire Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *