Wing in O’Donnell, other residence hall rooms vacant due to freshman class size

The+university+announced+an+increase+of+%241%2C330+for+tuition+during+the+2017-2018+academic+school+year+Jan.+23.+

The university announced an increase of $1,330 for tuition during the 2017-2018 academic school year Jan. 23.

Photo by Wire Stock Photo

Photo by Wire Stock Photo

Photo by Wire Stock Photo

Thomas Salinas, Beat Reporter

O’Donnell Hall will have a vacant wing this year after the university received a smaller freshmen class than it aimed for.

“There is one wing in O’Donnell that is vacant as the result of our current occupancy,” said Sean Berthold, assistant director of housing services, in an email. “Since the wing is not staffed with a RA, it will not be used during the academic school year.”

O’Donnell can hold up to 296 male freshman according to Marquette’s residence life website. Approximately 24 students live in each wing of the residence hall.

Besides O’Donnell, there are several vacant rooms in other campus residence halls due to enrollment numbers. Mary Janz, executive director of housing and residence life, said there was a goal to increase 2015 freshman class enrollment by 100 students.

“The hope was to enroll a freshman class of 2,000,” Janz said in an email. 

University Spokesman Brian Dorrington said the exact enrollment number for the new class is 1,899 students, 101 shy of the goal.

However, Janz said those enrollment numbers remain consistent with years past.

“We are still housing nearly 94 percent of the incoming class and over 52 percent of those who transferred to Marquette,” Janz said in an email.

Berthold said the vacancies in residence halls vary from building to building.

“Those residence halls in higher demand that have a waiting list, such as Abbottsford Hall, will have very few vacancies,” Berthold said in an email.

The vacant rooms will be used if needed during the year.

“Any vacant spaces that do exist in the residence halls will be used to accommodate room changes or students who wish to live on campus during the spring semester,” Berthold said in an email.