Women’s lacrosse earns first win in overtime

Womens+lacrosse+earns+first+win+in+overtime+
Photo by Maggie Bean

The Marquette women’s lacrosse team stopped its three-game losing skid with an 8-7 overtime victory over Duquesne (1-2) on Saturday, its first win of the season.

Leading the way for the Golden Eagles (1-3) was redshirt sophomore midfielder Taylor Smith, who had a career-high four goals on the game, including the game-winner with 1:26 remaining in overtime. Smith leads the team in goals with seven on the year. Also heavily contributing to the win was junior goaltender Sarah Priem, who had nine saves and the one that sealed the game with 15 seconds to go.

“Very happy for the team that we were able to come away with the win,” Marquette head coach Meredith Black told GoMarquette.com. “It was a hard fought game the whole way and, for us to come out with a victory, was great. I’m so proud of the team for keeping their heads up through the ups and downs of the game.”

Black’s squad won despite letting a couple of second-half two-goal leads slip by. Marquette led 5-3 with 23:51 remaining thanks to Claire Costanza’s early second-half goal, but Duquesne scored twice in three minutes to tie the game at five. Again, the Golden Eagles went up two after Smith’s third goal of the game and rip from reigning Big East Rookie of the Week Riley Hill, with 12:13 to go. However the Dukes refused to give up, shooting two past Priem and tying Marquette at 7 with 6:23 left. Both teams were scoreless through regulation from that point, pushing the game to an overtime period.

Neither team could find the back of the net until Smith fittingly put home her fourth goal of the game with less than two minutes left, giving Marquette an 8-7 lead. Since the first overtime is not sudden-death, the Golden Eagles needed to fend off the Dukes until the period ended. Priem managed to do just that, saving a rocket with 15 seconds remaining, and delivering the Golden Eagles their first win of the year.

“Sarah was clutch today,” Black said. “She handles pressure situations very well and they lead to shining moments. Today, she kept us alive numerous times and the save at the end helped keep us on top.”

Marquette was outshot 28-25 and managed to beat Duquesne on ground balls, 16-15. The Dukes missed out on free position shot opportunities, going just 3-10 on the game, while Marquette was 3-5.

The Golden Eagles will look to extend the winning streak to two with a game at UC Davis Mar. 8 at 3 p.m.