MUBB Fanatics old and new

Photo by Yue Yin/yue.yin@marquette.edu

Photo by Yue Yin/yue.yin@marquette.edu

Many Marquette students credit basketball games as a major part of the Marquette experience. For seniors, the upcoming basketball season marks their last year to show off their Marquette pride and scream their lungs out in the student section of the Bradley Center. For freshmen, this is their first year to put on the blue and gold, feel the goosebumps as the stadium erupts with the sounds of students cheering and the pep band playing and make their very first on jumbo-tron appearance.

Senior Tanner Burke has created quite the legacy since his freshman year. You may know him better as Goldman. As a freshman, Burke and another friend, who dressed as Blueman, would get to the front of the lines early so they could scope out the best seats in the house. Their costumes were a hit at the games, so much so they got a cult of a couple thousand people to follow them. It was not until recently that Burke revealed his secret identity to his fans. Some of his closest friends didn’t even know.

“(It) always brings back good memories,” Burke said. “We were interviewed very exclusively by the Tribune my freshman year to talk about why we were doing what we were doing. The writer had no idea who we were. We interviewed in our suits; it was great.”

Check out their Facebook page for more information about the dynamic duo.

Tour guides tell many prospective students about the lively and spirited basketball games when they first come to campus as high school students. Is the hype actually real? Well, that’s for the freshmen to decide. Freshmen Kendall Roemer, Katelyn Stamas and Haley Veres spill what they are most looking forward to this basketball season.

Kendall Roemer, College of Education

“I’ve never been to a college basketball game, so I’m really excited to go to my first one. I think it will be a fantastic experience. I haven’t heard much about the games, aside from that our basketball team is insanely good. I’m sure they won’t disappoint. I also heard they are a huge event and everyone goes crazy for them. I’m sure I’ll definitely go all out for at least one game. My friends and I have already been stocking up on our blue and gold. I’m sure my floor-mates and I would find a cool place to go eat first. The Safe House would be a first choice if we could all afford it.”

Katelyn Stamas, College of Communication

“The aspect I am most excited for is being in the fan section for MU basketball. I find it so amazing that the whole school comes together and cheers on one of the biggest sports here at Marquette. Plus the male cheerleaders are very cute. Yes, they’re for sure my favorite part. I haven’t heard much about the games themselves, but during orientation my group leader emphasized that if you don’t dress up then you’re not doing Marquette justice. I’m going to dress up crazy! I want suspenders and face paint and colored hair! You got to go all out to support your school.”

Haley Veres, College of Communication

“I’m most excited for the experience of a Marquette game. I love basketball, and I am ready to cheer on the team. I have heard the atmosphere at the game is thrilling, and everyone has so much fun. I am considering dressing up, but I will for sure be in Marquette gear.”