Letter: DPS should be certified public safety entity

As one who has taught criminology and law studies at Marquette for nearly 30 years, I am often asked about what measures might be taken to improve security and safety on our campus.

Last year’s tragic events at Aurora, Newtown, and Oak Creek highlight the challenge that every campus in the U.S. faces in assuring the protection of its students, faculty and staff from criminal violence.

While I often took issue with former University President the Rev. Robert A. Wild’s fall-back position on campus safety, which can be summarized in the statement that there was “no way to provide absolute protection to our campus community,” I truly believe that there is one measure that, if implemented, will contribute greatly to improving safety and security on campus and in the immediate surrounding area.

The university’s upper administration should initiate steps to transform the Marquette Department of Public Safety from its present status as an armed private security operation to a certified and commissioned public safety entity. The Governor’s Task Force on School and Campus Safety recommended this reform four years ago.

The notion of commissioning entails a delegation by the Wisconsin State Legislature of police powers to the university. Under such a delegation, qualified members of Marquette’s DPS would receive certification by the State of Wisconsin authorizing them to detain suspects and make arrests based on probable cause, to conduct searches and seizures within the strict limits of the law and to undertake those activities presently and typically performed by campus police departments across Wisconsin, as well as by private college campus police departments in Illinois and elsewhere.

This proposed change would grant “peace officer” status to the dedicated men and women who serve as public safety officers, patrolling and protecting our campus and its surrounding neighborhood.

Having a commissioned DPS with State Law Enforcement Certification for PSOs who meet training standards and educational requirements would enhance our response to emergency situations and improve our deterrence capabilities. It would also provide our officers and our investigators with greater access to information held by local, state and federal law enforcement agencies.

The commissioning of Marquette’s police force would in no way relieve the Milwaukee Police Department or the Milwaukee County Sheriff’s Office of responsibility for law enforcement on and around our campus.  Instead, it opens the door for an enhanced level of service, continued professional cooperation, and shared responsibility for the protection and well-being of all concerned.

A commissioned Public Safety Department, working on an equal basis with other law enforcement agencies in the area, would be a powerful peacekeeping influence in the Avenues West area.

Dr. Richard Zevitz is an associate professor of criminology and law studies and author of “Long Road Home: The Trials and Tribulations of a Confederate Soldier,” Branden Books, Boston, 2012.