An academic year in review

As students finish classes and begin preparing for exams, the Tribune looks back on the biggest events of the 2009-’10 school year.

Wild announces retirement

In March, University President the Rev. Robert A. Wild announced his plans to retire following the 2010-’11 school year, or until a successor is named.

Wild’s time at Marquette has been hailed as one of the most successful periods in school history, during which new buildings were constructed, $725 million was raised, the Athletic Department became a member of the Big East Conference, and undergraduate applications reached an all-time high.

Wild took over as the university’s 22nd president in June 1996, inheriting an assortment of financial and image problems.

Following Wild’s retirement announcement, university officials and others in the Marquette community recognized Wild for a successful tenure.

Provost John Pauly said Wild is leaving Marquette in a good place — financial stability and better academics.

“He reminded us why the Jesuit, Catholic mission matters to us as a university,” Pauly said at the time. “He made that palpable for people.”

An ongoing search is now being conducted to find Wild’s successor. The board of trustees has said the new president will also be a Jesuit.

Sodexo under fire

At the end of November, Marquette Student Government senators voted to recommend the university terminate its contract with Sodexo as dining services provider and seek an alternative vendor.

The 21-4 decision came following debate over whether the university should seek to sever ties with Sodexo or simply compromise with the vendor. Sodexo has been Marquette’s food service provider for more than a decade.

The recommendation’s passage sparked response from university officials, who questioned whether MUSG was fairly representing students’ opinions.

At the time, Vice President for Administration Arthur Scheuber said in an e-mail to other administrators that he was surprised the Senate would pass the legislation based off of one survey, and questioned its accuracy. He said the university would continue to work with Sodexo.

MUSG President Henry Thomas, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences, later met with administrators to “explain and clarify the basic point of the legislation: to improve overall food quality at Marquette.”

While the contract with Sodexo remains, the legislation has fueled further student reaction to the vendor. A Sodexo open forum was held in April for students to provide input and seek answers to lingering questions.

Sodexo officials promised further changes in the next year, including renovations to the Mashuda dining hall.

Freshman death stuns campus

Sadness overtook the campus in late November when Marquette lost a member of its community.

Andrew Siebenaler, a 19-year-old freshman in the College of Arts & Sciences, was found dead in his McCormick Hall room on Nov. 14. The Milwaukee County Medical Examiner’s Office determined the cause of death to be suicide.

Students gathered for a Sunday candlelight vigil with Siebenaler’s parents on Westowne Mall.

Elizabeth Siebenaler, his mother, spoke at the close of the vigil.

“Listen to me,” she said. “If you think you are a little bit sad and you think you cannot do it, talk to somebody.”

100 Years of Women at Marquette commemorated

In 1909, controversy arose when Marquette President the Rev. James McCabe made the decision to allow women to enroll in undergraduate studies.

Marquette recognized McCabe’s decision with the Centennial Celebration of Women at Marquette. It kicked off with the dedication of a Mother Teresa statue on campus in October.

The Little Rock Nine — seven of whom are women — received the Pere Marquette Discovery Award for challenging established educational boundaries in Arkansas in the 1950s.

Women leaders like journalist Gwen Ifill and former White House press secretary Dee Dee Myers also spoke on campus.

A brunch and Mass will conclude the year-long celebration this summer.

Marquette named top Catholic party school

On the lighter side, Marquette was recognized as best Catholic party school in the nation by Playboy magazine.

Playboy spokesman Stephen Mazeika said Marquette earned the award in the magazine’s May 2010 issue for its “work hard, play hard” mentality, where class attendance is important, but there is also a lot to do on the weekend.

Marquette’s large student body, good sports, abundance of local bars and Milwaukee location give students numerous social opportunities, Mazeika said.

“Whether that’s kegs and eggs for the basketball games, big house parties, attending a Brewers game or a brewery tour, we feel that Marquette students have deservedly earned this title,” Mazeika said.