MUSG elects student committee liaison

Business Senator Trent Carlson, a sophomore in the College of Business Administration, was elected to the position of President Pro Tempore at the weekly Marquette Student Government meeting Thursday.

To be elected, candidates for the position of PPT require a majority vote by the Senate. As PPT, Carlson will act as a liaison between Legislative Vice President Adam Tandez and the four student committees: Academics, Business & Government, Student Life and Student Organizations.

Carlson said he is strongly dedicated to MUSG, and wants to expand the role of the PPT.

“The PPT role needs to be a good communicator,” Carlson said.

Carlson added that he was interested in the position because it would allow him to get involved with the committees without having to be a committee chair. As PPT, he is required to attend all student committee meetings.

Opposing Carlson were senators Emil Ovbiagele, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences, and Adam Ryback, a sophomore in the College of Business Administration.

The election was preceded by a period of questioning, in which all three candidates were asked about their schedules, qualifications and plans if elected.

Among the qualifications Carlson gave were his previous position as O’Donnell Hall Council secretary and his strong working relationship with the four committee chairs, Joe Ciccone, Bill Doerrer, Giuseppe Pappalardo and Katie Simoncic, which he had previously established during his tenure in the Senate.

In other news from the meeting:

• This meeting was the first for the newly-elected residential senators. The single McCabe seat and both Commuter seats remain unfilled, and will be appointed by the McCabe Hall Council and Commuter Student Association, respectively.
  • President Henry Thomas, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences, announced that MU Radio will now be played in the Alumni Memorial Union from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., starting Oct. 5. He added that the hours will be expanded as the year goes on.
  • Ovbiagele announced that he had spoken to RHA president Meghan Janni about extending visitation hours, and they had come to the conclusion that 24-hour study areas would be added to the residence halls. Constituents should contact their senators with suggestions for locations.
  • Executive Vice President Stephanie Stopka, a senior in the College of Business Administration, informed the Senate about a meeting with the Alcohol Advisory Board, in which the school’s alcohol policy was discussed. She said they addressed some of the policy’s problem areas and considered ways to change or improve the policy.