Club hockey hits the ice

The Golden Eagles’ club hockey team is looking to improve its 1-1 record and challenge for its second league title in three years in a tough Mid-American Collegiate Hockey Association ­— Silver Division-North.

The team will have plenty of fresh legs to throw on the ice, adding 10 new players to its 16 returnees. Part of the group coming back from last year includes leading goal-scorer and point man senior Marty Wilkins, along with senior goalie Richard Bennett.

Wilkins has led the team in points the past two seasons and is already off to a fast start this season with five goals in the opening weekend against Northern Illinois.

“We have a really good team this year, a good freshman class, a good four lines and a strong defense,” Wilkins said. “I think we have a real shot at winning the league this year.”

Senior defenseman Peter Shutt is the team’s captain this year, along with senior forward Tony Jazdzyk. Both bring leadership and experience to a relatively young roster.

Since hockey isn’t a varsity sport, it also gives the players more time to kick back and take it easy when they’re not skating blue line to blue line. Shutt doubles as the club’s president and enjoys the fact that hockey is a club sport.

“Experiencing a sport without the commitment of D-I, but still being able to compete and enjoy time with the guys, is the best part about playing Marquette hockey,” Shutt said.

The team will be playing all of its home games this season at The Ponds of Brookfield — a 20-minute trip from campus. However, in an effort to get more students in attendance at these games, the team said a fan bus will be providing free transportation to and from Friday night home games starting Oct. 2.