Men’s club lacrosse confident heading into 2009 season

The 2009 men’s club lacrosse team lost four players from a 0-12 2008 season, but brings in 11 freshmen, including three members from the 2009 U.S. High School All-American Team.
“We haven’t won a lot of games with the guys on this team,” coach Fransisco Ojeda said.
Some of Ojeda’s returning players have confidence that this team is different than years past.
“The biggest thing going for us heading into the season is the family mentality we have on and off of the field,” junior defensive-midfielder Nick Hookham said. “That’s something we’ll have that other schools we’re playing may not.”
The 2009 team has a leg up on the 2008 team in that they have a fogo — a player designated specifically to take faceoffs — in freshman J.P. D’Amico.
“We had a lot of trouble with faceoffs and transitions last year,” sophomore Mitch Nemmers said. “Hopefully D’Amico will help.”
The team plays in the Upper Midwest Lacrosse League, which includes teams such as Minnesota-Duluth and Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
“Wisconsin-Milwaukee is by far our biggest rival.” Nemmers said. “Every year is a battle for the brew city.”
Ojeda added that if the team works together and sticks to the basics, it will achieve its ultimate goal.
“If we do what we need to do then we’ll be in the conference championshipbattling to head to nationals,” Ojeda said.
The team’s first game of the season is Sept. 13 at 2 p.m. and its opponent has yet to be determined.