Bar of the Week: Wolski’s

Wolski’s, although somewhat of a hike, is a classic neighborhood bar. I fell in love with its Wisconsin charm the first time I walked in the door.

I remember drinking a Blue Moon and watching my friends play pool in the back right corner while the obvious regulars sat up at the bar.

Wolski’s reeks of casual Wisconsin ease, with its lowly lit mahogany bar, low ceilings, stable bathroom doors, shiny Pabst bar signs and championship dartboards.

Wolski’s is a hangout for both the old Italians of the Brady Street neighborhood and the newer hipper crowd in the area. The bar caters to its different patrons by offering 1970s-esque décor, while playing M. Ward, Wilco and Neko Case.

Wolski’s also hands out their famous “I CLOSED WOLSKIS” bumper stickers, a Milwaukee badge of honor, if you are willing to stick around for Tall Boys and cigarettes from the vintage dispensing machine, until the end of the night.

Finding Wolski’s on its own is an adventure. I have a friend who lovingly calls it the “Narnia of Milwaukee.” The bar is located on Pulaski, north of Brady Street, but honestly, I’m not sure if I could give you accurate directions.

Every Wolski’s lover has his or her own path to the bar, and everyone laughs about its unassuming outward appearance. To find this “Narnia,” head east on Brady, take a left on Arlington, left on Pulaski, following the curve and watching out on your right for a stoop with some bicycles chained to the railing. But really half of the adventure of making it to Wolski’s is finding your own way there!

Please check it out, and let us know what you think at [email protected]

Wolski’s is located at 1836 N Pulaski St Milwaukee, WI 53202-1611 and you can call them at (414) 276-8130

And please, enjoy your first week of school!