Party plagued by leadership lapses, bungling

First, most Democrats believe only a heroic leader can save them — another FDR or JFK. But look at successful Republican leaders. Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich was more like Henry VIII (see Gingrich’s first divorce) than FDR. Former Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott had more in common with Jefferson Davis than JFK. You don’t need a messiah for a leader. Mere mortals can be successful. Democrats should learn from Republicans and find driven people with good ideas to lead them.

Second, Democratic leaders are presiding over the fracturing of the party. A recent example is Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle’s inability to prevent Sen. Zell Miller (D-Ga.) from endorsing Bush in 2004 (a slap in the face to Miller’s own party). Robert Caro’s book “Master of the Senate” relates how Majority Leader Lyndon Johnson kept his troops in line to form one of the most successful majorities in history. The Democratic leadership should apply Johnson’s lessons and enjoin unity. Disparate parties don’t win elections.

Third, Democratic leaders are stultified by regional antagonisms. They think they can win in only certain areas. Presidential hopeful Howard Dean is challenging this assumption. In the Nov. 1 edition of the Des Moines Register, Dean said, “I want to be the candidate for guys with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks.”

Dean recognizes that people vote on issues, not regional identities. But Dean’s appeal to the South was criticized by Rep. Dick Gephardt (D-Mo.), who called Dean soft on civil rights — a laughable accusation lobbed at the only leading Democrat resembling a liberal. Democrats need to recognize that their message can resonate with a broad base.

Bush has been one of the worst presidents in history. Bush’s America bears no resemblance to the economically vibrant and internationally respected country we knew only three years ago. The poll cited above shows that Bush is vulnerable in 2004. But if Democrats don’t fix their leadership problems, the result will be Bush’s first victory in a president election.

[email protected]