JOURNAL: Sweet Revenge

Marquette played football until 1960. While the program was still around, they played Wisconsin 36 times. (Photo courtesy of Wisconsin Historical Society.)

In the heart of the state capital of Wisconsin lies Wisconsin. 

Badger territory. 

But that isn’t all. Madison also houses the biggest rivalry in Marquette history. 

The two universities have been I-94 rivals for over 107 years and are separated by a mere 78 miles. Since their first matchup on the basketball court was in 1917, the Badgers and the Golden Eagles have met 130 times, with Wisconsin leading the series 71-49.

The rivalry is a staple in both Wisconsin and Marquette student culture, so much so that the last matchup Dec. 2 at the Kohl Center between the two men’s basketball teams sold out. Upon their victory, Madison students stormed the court after the win. 

However, the tension between the two teams does not stop at basketball.

Marquette volleyball junior right-side hitter Ella Foti has a love-hate relationship with Marquette’s biggest rival. 

While Madison is home to some of the most intense games of her career, it is also where she grew up. 

“It is crazy because I grew up down the road from the old fieldhouse where the Badgers played volleyball,” Foti said. “Growing up there, you bleed red and white, and everyone is a Badgers fan.” 

However, Foti never saw herself at Wisconsin and decided to take a chance at being a Golden Eagle. 

The past three years in the blue & gold, she returns to Madison as their rival, not as a fan or a student. But she feels as if her career has been a full-circle moment.

“I grew up going to their sporting events in the Kohl Center, the old fieldhouse and Camp Randall. Being able to play on that stage is almost nostalgic and a dream come true,” Foti said.  

And while her hometown is not rooting for her, Foti said the opposing fans inspire her to play harder.  

“I don’t mind being away at places because it lights a fire under me and makes me want to prove people wrong that much more,” Foti said.

It is not just the opposing teams that make a riot, but also the support from Marquette fans in the stands.

“It is really awesome having a great atmosphere and we have that at the Al and when we played UW at the Fiserv Forum, it was so amazing and so cool to be supported by so many people,” Foti said. 

But it’s not just the fans that look forward to these matchups. The athletes competing are the ones that get the most excited. 

“I think they are fun to have because it’s always a date on our calendar that we look forward to,” sophomore forward Ryan Amond said. 

Amond said the added tension is a reason that he goes into the games with the same mindset as any other. 

“For me, I don’t go into it any differently, but I know it’s a little more pressure because it’s a team that we play every year and it’s a big rivalry,” Amond said. “I know the coaches want to beat each other. The pregame you must ensure you are ready (for the game) and not let pressure get to you.”

Senior tennis player Andie Weise has battled the Badgers twice this season, given that the teams have been matched up since 2000. She has learned that the only way to handle the pressure and distractions is to stay true to her routine.  

“I try not to change anything because I have my own rituals and patterns, and I don’t think it’s good to step outside of that and make it seem bigger than it is,” Weise said. “I just  go into the match and prepare myself in the same way with the same mindset as I always do.” 

However, despite the high stakes, Weise said she believes that rivalries are an essential part of sports.

“They are necessary because it creates more drama and anticipation,” Weise said. “They are fun, but they make everything a little bit more nerve-wracking because there is more pressure, and everyone wants to see who is going to win and people talk about it until the next matchup.” 

This article was written by Sophia Woods. She can be reached at soph[email protected] or on Twitter/X @SophiaWoodsMU.