Weekly News Briefs

Photo by Katie Craig

George Santos expelled from Congress

The U.S. House of Representatives voted to expel Republican Rep. George Santos (R-NY) following an ethics report. The vote, which passed 311-114, saw 105 Republicans join Democrats in removing Santos. This removal marks him as the sixth member in history, and third since the Civil War, to be ousted by colleagues.

Santos, celebrated initially for flipping a district, faced scandals that included lying about his background and being indicted on multiple charges. The Ethics Committee found evidence of legal violations and self-enrichment.

His expulsion, ahead of a trial next year, narrows the GOP majority and sets the stage for a special election in New York.

The upcoming special election is anticipated to be highly competitive, with Democrats eyeing it as an opportunity to gain a seat and influence the House majority.

Former U.S. Rep. Tom Suozzi, a Democrat, is among the notable candidates vying for the now-vacant position. Santos retains some former member privileges but can no longer undertake legislative activities. His office remains operational under the Clerk of the House, but no new staff can be hired.

Wisconsin state maps oral arguments

The Wisconsin Supreme Court began hearing arguments on Nov. 21 in Clarke v. Wisconsin Elections Commission, challenging the state’s legislative maps as illegally gerrymandered.

The lawsuit, filed directly with the court, seeks redrawing of maps before the 2024 elections. Justice Janet Protasiewicz, whose appointment created a liberal majority on the court for the first time in 15 years, declined to recuse herself despite Republican calls and impeachment threats over her campaign comments on the maps. Conservatives accuse the liberal majority of influencing the case’s timing.

Assembly Republicans proposed involving a nonpartisan agency in map drawing, seen by Democrats as an attempt to maintain legislative control over redistricting. The lawsuit is part of a long battle over Wisconsin’s maps, questioning their constitutionality and contiguity. It also proposes redrawing all Senate and Assembly districts, including a special election for certain Senate seats, which opponents argue is unconstitutional.

Campus construction

There is an ongoing construction project happening between Weasler Auditorium and O’Brien Hall to improve the air conditioning system for the auditorium.

“The construction is an infrastructure upgrade for the Weasler Auditorium air conditioning system to one that is much more economical, efficient and sustainable,” University spokesperson Kevin Conway said in a statement.

A portion of the sidewalk between the 16th street parking structure and the Alumni Memorial union is blocked off while construction is being completed.

Winter Break Campus Services

Marquette University offers services for Marquette students who stay on campus over break and for those who are traveling home. 

Following finals week, Marquette’s Winter Break spans from Dec. 17, 2023 to Jan. 15, 2024. The university will be closed from Dec. 24, 2023 until Jan. 1, 2024. 

The Alumni Memorial Union, The IT Services Help Desk, Raynor Memorial Libraries, The Rec Center, MU Medical Clinic, Rex Plex and the Spirit Shop will all have limited hours over break. 

For students who are leaving campus over winter break, the Marquette University Police Department is offering a Vacant House program. This gives students the ability to fill out a form and request for MUPD officers to monitor their vacant homes during their routine patrols.

This service is offered to students who are residing in near-off-campus neighborhoods. These include Highland Avenue to the north, North James Lovell and 6th streets to the east, 24th Street to the west and Canal Street to the south.

Airline merger

Hawaiian airlines was bought by Alaska Airlines for $1.9 billion. The two companies will each keep their own respective branding. The merger comes after months of negotiations.

Alaska Airlines fleet will increase by 65 planes and serve 138 destinations.

Alaska will take on Hawaiian airline’s $900 million debt. Alaska Airlines CEO Ben Minicucci said the move is “pro-consumer” and will help the now fifth-largest airline to compete in the larger market.

Hawaiian Airlines CEO and President Peter Ingram and Minicucci both deemed Alaska and Hawaii are unique in that they aren’t connected to cities by roads.

The deal still needs to be approved by federal antitrust regulators. There have been mergers in the past decade that brought the 11 biggest US airlines down to four.

The Biden administration has argued that airline mergers don’t given passengers enough choices and have challenged a number of mergers.

Dorm fireworks

Marquette University Police Department responded to a student setting off a commercial firework in Wells Street residence Hall Dec.1 around 10.p.m.

“Two students were found on the scene, one of whom was transported to the hospital with with non-life threatening injuries. The other student has been taken into custody,” Alicia Román, Wells Street residence hall director said in an email to residents.

MUPD sent out several safety alerts throughout the night. One at 10 p.m. that said there was a large police presence in Wells for the investigation and there was no threat to the campus. Another alert was issued at around 10:45 p.m. that said MUPD was still on site to investigate the damage caused.

The incident is under investigation by MUPD.