WandaVision: A reflection on the Disney+ series, characters

New episodes have been released weekly at 2 a.m. CST since Jan. 15. Photo via Flickr

With the ninth and final episode of “WandaVision” being released this past week, Marvel has officially wrapped up its most creative venture t0 date. The series, which incorporated old sitcom tropes into its thrilling plot, has been extremely popular in the past two months. The show carries a 91% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

New episodes have been released weekly at 2 a.m. central time since Jan. 15, and Disney+ has been known to crash at this time due to users overwhelming the system. Here is a reflection on the series so far and a look into the future of the characters involved.

Wanda Maximoff has taken quite the journey throughout the show. She seemed like a victim in the early episodes, a villain in the middle and finished off as the series main hero. Wanda has always been very powerful relative to other Marvel heroes, but I think it is now clear that she is the most powerful hero in the MCU. She managed to mind control hundreds of people, partially bring back Vision and create the hex. She is the true Scarlett Witch, a mythical being in Marvel lore that is prophesized to destroy the universe.

Wanda shows an ability to fly and disappear in the finale, and also takes away the magic of Agatha, her main enemy. Also, it is revealed in a post credit scene that she is studying the Darkhold, a magical book. She is set to appear alongside Dr. Strange in “Multiverse of Madness,” in March of next year. It is unclear as to whether she will return for another season of WandaVision, or if she is instead in line for her own set of standalone movies.

An intriguing character moving forward will be White Vision, who was put back together by S.W.O.R.D. and reanimated by using Wanda’s magic. He was given his memory back by the Hex Vision, and we currently have no information about what he is up to. He is just as powerful as before, proving a perfect match to Hex Vision in their battle. There is also a chance that he gets in touch with Wanda, as he now possesses Vision’s memory. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him show up in “Multiverse of Madness,” but it is more likely that he will sit a few movies out.

Monica Rambeau is yet another hero who was set up to appear in a future movie in the series. In a post-credit scene, she is visited by a member of the Kree, who tells her that an old friend is looking for her. This almost certainly means that she will appear in “Captain Marvel 2,” which hits theaters in 2022. Rambeau appeared in “Captain Marvel,” however she was much younger in that film. It appears as though she has come into her own and assumed the powers of her comic book alter-ego, Spectrum.

While Rambeau’s future in the MCU is clear, Agatha Harkness finishes the series on a much more uncertain note. When the sinister witch has her powers taken from her by Wanda, she is transformed back into the role she originally chose to play back in the sitcom episodes, the nosy neighbor. It appears as though she is destined to live out her life under the control of Maximoff, however I am sure she will turn up again eventually. In the comics, Harkness is sometimes portrayed as a mentor to Wanda, as she has been using magic for more than 300 years. I think she would make a fun sidekick to Wanda, and Kathryn Hahn, who plays Agatha Harkness, has endeared herself to fans for her portrayal of the character.

WandaVision turned out to be a major success for Marvel Studios, and ended up opening the doors for new content and new adventures in future installments. With “The Falcon and the Winter Soldier” and “Loki” set to drop later on this year, it is clear that Marvel is launching a whole new era for their hero’s, on both the big and small screen.

This story was written by Mason Stebnitz. He can be reached at [email protected].