MUSG votes on portable scoreboard, fill positions

A+new+form+for+students+to+give+feedback+on+professors+was+introduced+to+MUSG+at+the+weekly+meeting+Nov.+13.+The+University+Committee+of+Teaching+has+been+considering+implementing+IDEA%2C+a+student+rating+of+instruction+system%2C+since+spring+2016.+
Photo by Jordan David
A new form for students to give feedback on professors was introduced to MUSG at the weekly meeting Nov. 13. The University Committee of Teaching has been considering implementing IDEA, a student rating of instruction system, since spring 2016.

Marquette University Student Government voted on new legislation and filled open positions during its meeting Sept. 25.

The committee passed legislation for a portable scoreboard, as the consensus reached a majority immediately. The scoreboard will cost $4,130 and will mostly be used at Valley Fields. 

Joshua Steinfels, a junior in the College of Business Administration and the representative for the Evans Scholars House, said he was a supporter of purchasing the scoreboard. “As someone who partakes in many of the intramural sports, it’s a great use of our money.”

The reserve fund currently holds $167,802.67.  Allie Bitz, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences and executive vice president of MUSG, said she was eager to pass the legislation to benefit the Marquette community. “I just wanted to say the reserve is not a budget … it’s actually our surplus,” Bitz said.

The committee passed the legislation for the portable scoreboard with flying colors, the consensus reached a majority immediately.

The election for President Pro Tempore also took place Monday. This role is an elected position, given to a senator who will ensure communication on the board and act as a leader within the senators.

Steinfels and Dan Brophy, a sophomore and student representative in the College of Arts & Sciences, were both nominated. After a question and answer session and the debate that followed, Brophy was elected.

Brophy was the Straz representative in MUSG last year. He said he hopes to continue to be vocal in the senate and that he can urge senators to be the best leaders they can be.

An election for the chair of the Student Organization Funding Committee also took place. This committee oversees the funding for the various clubs, sports and student organizations that may apply for funding through the school. The funding is available each year, and is funded by the $30 student activity fee paid by every undergraduate student. The position was filled by Steinfels.

Every residence hall senator position has now been filled, yet MUSG is still in search of an off campus representative.