Men’s soccer eliminated from BIG EAST Tournament in loss

Photo by Meredith Gillespie
Diego Nunez scored Marquette’s only goal in the 10th minute.

Marquette men’s soccer lost 2-1 to No. 15 Butler, meaning the Golden Eagles’ season will end Thursday night. Marquette will not play in the BIG EAST Tournament for the second season in a row.

Diego Nunez scored the Golden Eagles’ only goal, his second of the season, in the sixth minute. The Spanish forward took advantage of a poor pass by a Butler defender. That allowed him to split the defense and beat keeper Eric Dick high.

The Bulldogs responded quickly, scoring ten minutes later. Lewis Suddick scored his ninth of the year in casual fashion, chipping in a far post rebound off a Jared Timmer shot. David Goldsmith, the leading scorer in the BIG EAST, scored the game winner in the 66th minute when he headed home a Michael Peay cross.

Luis Barraza made seven saves that night.

Even if the Golden Eagles pulled off the upset, they were eliminated from the BIG EAST Tournament with DePaul’s victory against St. John’s. The Blue Demons have 12 points, and Marquette could have reached 11 points with victories against Butler and DePaul.

John Pothast and Mac Wheeler will be honored at Senior Night Thursday against DePaul. Marquette needs a victory to avoid finishing in last place in the conference, as the team trails ninth place Seton Hall by two points.