Golden Eagles Alumni will play Hoopville Warriors in TBT

The Golden Eagles Alumni will take on Midwest Dream Squad in the first round of TBT.

The Golden Eagles Alumni will start their journey for The Basketball Tournament Championship against the Hoopville Warriors on July 16 in Chicago.

If the Golden Eagles Alumni defeat the Warriors, they’ll play the winner of the Spartan Heroes and Ohio United in the second round on July 17.

The team is competing in the 5-on-5 tournament for a $2 million cash prize. The tournament will be aired on the ESPN family of networks starting at the Super 17. The semifinals and championship will be on ESPN.

The Golden Eagles TBT team consists of 11 players: guard Maurice Acker, forward Dwight Burke, guard Dwight Buycks, guard Matt Carlino, guard/forward Joe Chapman, guard Darius Johnson-Odom, forward Davante Gardner, forward Marcus Jackson, guard Jerel McNeal, guard Derrick Wilson and forward Jamil Wilson.

The team will be coached by Marquette assistant Travis Diener and Mavericks guard and former Golden Eagle Wesley Matthews. Dan Fitzgerald is the team’s general manager.

The Golden Eagles Alumni are one of 16 teams in the Midwest Bracket. They hold the sixth seed in the region, while Hoopville is the 11th seed.

Hoopville’s roster is made up mostly of players who played at mid to low-major Division I universities. They’ve competed in the tournament the past two years, falling in the quarterfinals in 2014 and the Super 16 in 2015. The team is based out of Illinois.

The first round game will be played at 9:15 p.m. central in The Shannon Center on the Chicago campus of St. Xavier University.