Take your sweet tooth to the MKE Cupcake Fest this Saturday

Photo by Classy Girl Cupcakes

What’s the best cupcake flavor out there? For the bakery manager at Classy Girl Cupcakes, Morgan Zielinski, her favorite is pistachio, but the store’s top seller is vanilla salted caramel. You can try either of these and many others at Cupcake Fest Milwaukee Oct. 17 9 a.m.-4 p.m. in the Mitchell Park Horticultural Conservatory (The Domes), 524 S. Layton Blvd. Adult admission is $7.

The festival is completely run by Classy Girl Cupcakes, but the company is partnering with the Domes to hold the event. The idea for Cupcake Fest started last year when Classy Girl Cupcakes participated in the Very Fairy Princess Festival also hosted at the Domes.

“We sold our products along with a cookie company, and we sold out within hours,” Zielinski said.

After that event was a success, she said the company then wanted to put on a festival of its own.

The business started when a lawyer named Erica Elia made delicious cupcakes for her own wedding five years ago. “People wouldn’t stop raving about them so she started her own business after that,” Zielinski said. “We’re looking to franchise eventually. We’re just trying to get our name out there and let people know what we’re all about.”

The main source of business for Classy Girl Cupcakes comes from catering for weddings. The company hopes to gain more clients. Zielinski anticipates another successful event for the business. She said the Cupcake Festival is expecting more than 9,000 people, judging from the Facebook event page. Given that this is the first year for the event, this number surprised company owners.

Besides cupcake tasting, attendees will be able to decorate their own cupcakes and make cupcake push-pops. There will be children’s activities such as a scavenger hunt, face painting and hair styling. A photo booth will also be available, as well as a DJ dance party and a performance by Gina Baez, a singer from New York, who will include a song about cupcakes.

Zielinski is excited about the success the company will achieve in putting on this festival.

“If it’s a success or a failure, (at least we can say) we tried. But I think (the Cupcake Fest) overall will be successful.”