New Milwaukee Bucks arena’s district determined

The Milwaukee Common Council approved a $47 million plan specifying the location district for the new Milwaukee Bucks arena in a 12-3 vote on Tuesday.

The legislation passed will close N. 4th St. between West Juneau and West Highland avenues. That area will be an addition to the new arena as a public plaza for connecting restaurants and bars located on N. Old World 3rd St.

The BMO Harris Bradley Center will be torn down for the new arena. The Division I men’s basketball team will continue to play games in the center until construction starts.

The university and Marquette Student Government showed support for building the new arena when it was being debated during the summer. MUSG President Zack Wallace sent Aldermen Robert Bauman and Michael Murphy an email listing his reasons supporting the arena. He said it could “foster development and contribute to young professionals.”

Property taxes will repay what is taken out of city funds to help pay for the arena, according to a Milwaukee Journal Sentinel report.

The Bucks said they hope to play in the arena for the 2017-’18 basketball season but Mike Fascitelli, team executive and co-owner, said he doesn’t think it will be ready until the following 2018-’19 season.