Christine Harris Taylor named new Title IX coordinator

Christine Harris Taylor has a background as a mediator and private practice attorney. Photo via marquette.edu

Marquette chose professor Christine Harris Taylor as its new Title IX coordinator according to a university news brief released Monday.

Taylor spent almost 10 years at Marquette working as director and associate adjunct professor for the graduate program in dispute resolution. She will take over the role after Marya Leatherwood vacated the position after to become interim vice president for student affairs in May.

“I am very excited to take on this new role and work with a talented team of professionals who are dedicated to ensuring a culture grounded in respect and our guiding values,” Taylor said in the university news brief. “This role is a natural fit for me that blends my experience as a lawyer with my skill set in dispute resolution.”

Title IX works to prevent sex-based discrimination in education and removes obstacles preventing someone from pursuing a profession because of their sex. It was implemented as part of the 1972 United States Educational Amendments.

In her new position, Taylor will be supported by the deputy Title IX coordinators from four divisions of Marquette that are closely linked to Title IX policies.

Those coordinators are Chris Daood, assistant director of the Counseling Center; Lynn Mellantine, assistant vice president of human resources; Sarah Bobert, senior associate athletics director and William Welburn, associate provost for diversity and inclusion.