Women’s soccer looks to extend home winning streak

Marquette Women's Soccer vs. Colorado College
Photo courtesy of Marquette Athletics

After two hard-nosed wins this weekend on home territory, the Marquette women’s soccer team will attempt to keep its undefeated run at Valley Fields alive when it hosts Colgate Friday night.

The Golden Eagles have not lost at home in 13 consecutive matches, but the Raiders have the necessary credentials to put the streak in jeopardy. Colgate enters the match 2-1 on the road and 4-1 overall. In its three away games, the Raiders have allowed only one goal.

An NCAA Tournament participant last fall, Colgate will be Marquette’s first true home test of the season.

“You have a team who just got started probably a little later with their overall schedule,” Marquette coach Markus Roeders said. “They will be solid. It’s a type of team you can’t take lightly.”

Colgate’s lone loss of the season thus far was a 1-0 defeat at Syracuse. Marquette hopes to take advantage of the Raiders’ trend of scoring most of its goals in the first half. Colgate has netted eight of its nine scores before halftime, while the Golden Eagles have amassed six of their 14 goals in the second half.

Regardless of the statistics, Roeders and the team will approach this opponent with the same mentality as they do with other foes.

“We’ll study them and prepare ourselves, but a lot of the focus has to be really on us and us getting better,” Roeders said. “That’s got to be the main thing. I really feel comfortable with this squad. If we take care of our business, then we can have an opportunity to play any team that we face.”

Marquette moved higher in the national poll this week, rising to No. 22. Senior midfielder Taylor Madigan, who scored three goals in last weekend’s matches, believes the preparation for the team has, and always will, start with getting players on the same page in order to keep the team in the top 25.

“I think we’re going to just focus on the little details and keep gelling together,” Madigan said. “We have a good future ahead of us.”

The match is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. Friday at Valley Fields.