Women defeat Portland State 3-2

Photo by Rebecca Rebholz/ rebecca.rebholz@mu.edu
Photo by Rebecca Rebholz/ [email protected]

Marquette avoided a winless West Coast trip yesterday by upending Portland State 3-2.

In the first-ever meeting between the two schools, the Golden Eagles trailed 1-0 for most of the match and came up empty on its first 19 shot attempts. A header by senior midfielder Taylor Madigan in the 79th minute tied the match at 1-1 and a penalty kick by senior midfielder Maegan Kelly in the 81st minute gave Marquette the lead permanently. Junior midfielder Mady Vicker scored in the 88th minute to push the advantage to 3-1. Yesterday’s win the team prevented Marquette’s first 0-2 start since the 1999 season.

The Golden Eagles took advantage of a visibly frustrated Vikings squad. Two red cards against Vikings sisters Kayla and Kelsey Henningsen came just two minutes apart late in the match. Portland State was hit with 14 fouls.

Marquette had a difficult start against the defending Big Sky Conference champions. The Golden Eagles put together three shots in 30 seconds in the 14th minute and were awarded a penalty kick in the 57th minute, but could not find the back of the net.

Credit the defense for limiting the Vikings to seven shot attempts. Portland State had its hardships on the offensive end in its season-opening loss to Oregon, firing off seven shots and failing to score.

Maegan Kelly recorded her 30th career goal and 30th career assist and is now four assists shy of becoming the program’s all-time leader.

The Golden Eagles play No. 3 UCLA this Friday and Oakland University on Sunday in South Bend, Ind. in the Notre Dame Adidas Invitational.