Women’s team defeats Seton Hall 66-58

The Marquette women’s basketball team faced off against conference opponent Seton Hall (8-17, 1-11 Big East) last night, and senior guard Tatiyiana McMorris once again led the Golden Eagles (20-5, 8-4 Big East) in scoring with 17 points in a 66-58 victory.

Marquette’s greatest deficit was a two-point lead by Seton Hall midway through the first half.  After more than two minutes of scoreless play from both sides, senior guard Angel Robinson got a steal and converted for a layup, putting Marquette ahead 17-15. The Golden Eagles led the rest of the game.

Steals played an important role in Marquette’s win. With 12 steals compared to six for Seton Hall, the Golden Eagles took control of the game on the defensive side of the ball.

With about a minute left in the first half, Marquette took the biggest lead of the game by going on a 12-0 run.

Including McMorris, the women finished with four players in double digits. Robinson had 15, sophomore forward Sarina Simmons had 12 and senior guard Jasmine Collins finished with 14.

Coming off the bench, Collins had a perfect shooting night by going 6-for-6 from the field.

Seton Hall’s Jasmine Crew and Jazzmine Johnson posed a challenge for the Marquette defense. Crew had 20 points and Johnson tallied 10 for the Pirates.

Marquette senior guard Courtney Weibel hit two three-point shots, while McMorris made three. But Seton Hall had a better night outside the arc, shooting 54.5 percent from three-point range, compared to Marquette’s 41.7 percent.

With nothing left to do and the game almost out of reach, the Pirates resorted to fouls in the last few minutes, and the Golden Eagles capitalized by shooting 83.3 percent from the charity stripe.

Marquette faces Rutgers on Saturday at the Al McGuire Center.