MUSG allocations allotted to various student organizations

In the final Marquette Student Government meeting before Thanksgiving break, MUSG approved two allocations larger than $2,500 to student groups looking to hold events off-campus.

The MARDI GRAS winter service trip was allocated $7,605 to send 70 students to New Orleans from Jan. 8 to 16, 2011. That money will go toward transportation and lodging expenses. The organization, which will contribute $8,000.87 of its own funds to the trip, originally requested $10,665 from MUSG.

The trip takes place four times a year. Sara Magrath, a senior in the College of Nursing, said Marquette students have done so much to help the city, New Orleans honors Marquette with an annual “Marquette Day.”

The Marquette University Chorus was given $3,000 for registration fees, which will allow them to perform with distinguished composer Eric Whitacre.

John Heflin, a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences, said it will be a “once in a life time opportunity” for the choir. The show will take place in Chicago from March 6 to 8, and 20 to 24 students are expected to participate. Adviser Kate Trevey said this “will be like a Master’s program for those who get to participate.”

Other organizations that were allocated money for events occurring between Nov. 23 and May 7 of next year were Habitat for Humanity ($1,188) and the United Nations Student Alliance ($311.20).

The only on-campus funding went to the latter of those two, with the UNSA putting on “Advocating an Answer for AIDS/STD” in the Emory Clark Hall from Dec. 1 to 3.

Executive Vice President Joey Ciccone, a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences, said MUSG did not receive many on-campus requests for this time period. According to the MUSG website, the next allocation period deadline is Jan. 21, 2011. Allocation requests for events Jan. 31 to May 7 should be made by this time.

Ciccone also said there is a Dec. 3 deadline for club sports allocation applications.

In other MUSG News …

Heflin, who is chair of the academics committee, said the group has been collecting data on academic advising. He said they have received both positive and negative feedback and will be presenting a video once the footage is edited.

College of Arts & Sciences sophomore Drew Halunen, chair of the business and administration committee, said the committee met with Assistant to the Vice President Mike Whittow and discussed the possibility of letting organizations sign up for joint use of the Zipcars on campus.

Halunen said MUSG is planning a meeting with Zipcar officials within the next few weeks to pursue the idea. This could potentially offset the cost of the Zipcar for an individual who would like to use the car to take care of organization business.

Halunen also said he met with the owner of the Dogg Haus, 1633 W. Wells St., and discussed possible improvements to the vendor. Halunen said Dogg Haus will soon be unveiling new menu items and televisions in the restaurant.