Utting leads MU at the Wolverine Invitational

Freshman Chelsea Utting led the Marquette women’s tennis team this weekend at the Wolverine Invitational in Ann Arbor, Mich., going the farthest of any singles player by reaching the quarterfinals of the Blue Draw.

Utting defeated Kari Wig of Michigan 6-4, 7-6(4) on Friday and automatically advanced to the quarters after her opponent, Purdue’s Anna Dushkina, withdrew from the match. The freshman finally fell in the quarters to Michigan State’s Valentina Rusakova 6-3, 6-4.

Utting finished the weekend with a victory on Sunday over Olga Chernova of Michigan State 7-5, 2-6, 6-0 in a consolation match.

Senior Rachel Hush was the only other Golden Eagle to record a win in her main draw, defeating April Kerr of Western Michigan 6-2, 6-2. After losing in straight sets in the next match, Hush came back to defeat Rachel Denny of Western Michigan 7-6, 6-1 in a consolation match Saturday.

Juniors Gillian Hush and Olga Fischer teamed up to go undefeated in doubles play, beating tandems from Purdue and Western Michigan on Saturday and another from Michigan on Sunday.

Marquette’s other doubles team of Rachael Hush and senior Christina Ruiz went 2-1, downing pairs from Western Michigan and Michigan before retiring in its third match against Purdue.

The Golden Eagles now get 18 days off, and they will finish the fall season at the ITA Midwest Region Championship starting Oct. 21.