Tennis opens with Milwaukee Tennis Classic

Christina Ruiz and Rachael Hush claimed the women’s doubles runner-up spot for Marquette in the seven team Milwaukee Tennis Classic last weekend.

The Golden Ealges were swept in doubles play by the eventual champion South Carolina Gamecocks in their first action on Friday, but picked up two singles wins from Hush (6-2, 6-4) and junior Olga Fischer (6-4, 6-3) against the Western Michigan Broncos later in the day.

Sophomore Kelly Barry opened Saturday play for Marquette with the women’s team’s only win against South Carolina 7-6, 7-5 in a singles match.

The senior duo of Ruiz and Hush scored their first doubles win of the weekend (8-6) against Kansas State.

Sunday proved to be the Golden Eagles’ strongest showing in the tournament. Ruiz and Hush picked up their second doubles win against Western Michigan with an impressive 8-1 performance. In the singles matches against Kansas State, four of Marquette’s five players collected a win.

Freshman Chelsea Utting picked up a hard-fought victory against the Wildcats (5-7, 6-4, 1-0) as did junior Gillian Hush (2-6, 6-0, 1-0). Barry (7-5, 7-6) and Fischer (6-3, 6-4) also scored wins to finish Marquette’s play on a high note.

Freshman Thibault Troude led the Marquette men’s team in the Classic with a singles win against Wisconsin-Madison on Saturday and against Northwestern on Sunday.

The Golden Eagles opened strong in their singles matches against Ball State on Friday.Freshmen Dan Mamalat (6-3, 6-4) and Logon Collins (7-6, 2-6, 1-0), sophomore Jose Carlos Gutierrez Crowley (6-3, 6-3), senior Jose Manuel Munoz (7-6, 6-3) and junior Jonathan Scherwin (4-6, 6-2, 1-0) all scored wins against the Cardinals.

Marquette was swept by Northwestern, however, in the doubles matches later in the day.

Against  Wisconsin-Madison on Saturday morning, Troude’s victory (6-4, 6-1) was the Golden Eagles’ only win in their singles matches.

Despite the slow start Saturday,  the men’s team rebounded to take two of three doubles matches against Ball State later in the day. Troude and sophomore Otavio Perim won their match 8-1, and Mamalat and Scherwin followed up with an 8-4 performance.

Troude was again the lone bright spot for the men’s team on Sunday with a singles win against Northwestern. Marquette was swept by Wisconsin-Madison in doubles and closed out the tournament in disappointing fashion.

Both teams will look to build on their performances in the Classic and prepare this week for their trip to Muncie, Ind., for the Ball State Invitational on Friday.