Mbao will miss up to six weeks

Youssoupha Mbao, a freshman center on the Marquette men’s basketball team, suffered a right knee sprain in team workouts and is expected to miss up to six weeks of action, coach Buzz Williams said.

The 7-foot-2 center hasn’t seen much action for the Golden Eagles this season, but Williams acknowledged that Mbao has made great progress since arriving at Marquette.

Appearing in 10 games for the Golden Eagles this season, Mbao averaged 0.1 points and 0.7 rebounds. He also tallied 6.0 minutes each game in which he saw playing time.

“We are disappointed in the MRI results for Yous,” Williams said in a Marquette athletics press release.  “His minutes do not reflect it, but he has grown exponentially as a player and as a teammate since he has been here.  As always, we will make sure he receives the absolute best care possible while he begins his rehab.”

Although he didn’t see much time, his size is irreplaceable and Williams used Mbao’s long frame to disrupt opponents on the offensive end. Mbao was often used at the top of the key in order to deny paint touches and entry passes close to the basket.

With 6-foot-10 center Chris Otule already expected to miss the remainder of the season, the tallest active players for the Golden Eagles are freshman Erik Williams and junior Joe Fulce, who both stand at 6-foot-7.