MU Central Access Number now required for student records

Students will need their MCAN number at Zilber Hall to access records.

Medical students need to take the MCAT to gain acceptance to medical school. Now, Marquette students need to know their MCAN to access their student records.

Marquette parents and students must have their Marquette Central Access Number in addition to their Marquette University ID number when calling Marquette Central to obtain student records.

Marquette Central is located in the newly constructed Zilber Hall. The new hub is the combined location of the Offices of the Bursar, Financial Aid and Registrar.

Accessing one’s MCAN can be tricky. Initially, students can find their MCAN by logging into CheckMarq and going into the Student Center.

Next, students should scroll down to the “Personal Information” section, click on the drop down button and select “MU Central Access Number” from the list of options. Students will then see a randomly assigned MCAN, which can be changed by following further instructions on the page.

The change came to comply with new federal regulations for student privacy, according to communication manager Tim Olsen.

“The MCAN number is needed to comply with Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act regulations,” Olsen said.

The FERPA federal regulations protect information about students’ academic and financial records.

Initially, the change was announced via a Marquette news brief in November. Olsen said there was confusion for some students who didn’t understand the procedure.

Olsen explained that a number of students called in without knowing their MCAN. To clarify the matter, an additional news brief was sent out January 5.

Deanna Davis, Marquette Central manager, said students who call in without an MCAN can be walked through the process with an automated list of instructions.

She said the second news brief has eliminated the confusion and provided more clarity. She said most students calling in are now aware of the changes made and have their MCAN ready.

Zilber Hall is holding an open house on the first floor, starting today and continuing through Friday.

Students in attendance will be able to meet with staff, learn about different services provided by Marquette Central and learn how to use their MCAN to access different student records. Hot chocolate and cookies will be served, and students can enter to win an iPod. Tours of Zilber Hall will not be offered until the formal dedication and open house in the spring.