Maymon to leave men’s basketball team

The Marquette men’s basketball team suffered yet another blow when freshman forward Jerrone Maymon decided to leave the program suddenly. Coach Buzz Williams made the announcement Monday evening.

“We want to thank Jeronne for his contributions to the program while he was here and wish him the best of luck in the future,” Williams said in Marquette Athletics press release.

Maymon is the third player to be lost for the Golden Eagles this season. Freshman Junior Cadougan and sophomore Christ Otule are also missing this year’s action with season-ending injuries.  Maymon, who is 6-foot-6 and 250 pounds, was expected to play heavy minutes when the 6-foot-10 Otule went down for the season.

Maymon, the Madison native, came to Marquette after a prolific high school career. He was named Wisconsin player of the year in both his junior and senior seasons at Madison Memorial High School.

He saw action in nine games coming off the bench for Marquette this season. He averaged 4.0 points and 4.2 rebounds and shot 48.1 percent from the field.

Maymon’s departure will lead to the question if Vander Blue, Marquette’s star recruit for 2010-’11, will be affected by the decision. Blue was a high school teammate of Maymon’s and admitted his presence at Marquette played a factor in his eventual decision to commit under Williams.