Buycks’ double-double leads MU over Grambling St.

buyks
Junior guard Dwight Buycks recorded a double-double en route to a Marquette 87-41 victory.

Behind a double-double from Dwight Buycks, the Marquette Golden Eagles improved to 3-0 after defeating Grambling State 87-41 Saturday night.

Buycks scored 10 points, pulled down 10 rebounds and dished out seven assists in his third career start as a Golden Eagle.

“I feel more comfortable in everything we’re doing and the offense we’re running and the more that we practice,” Buycks said. “I get more comfortable with it and know where to take good shots and see different angles of our offense.”

The Golden Eagles went on a 19-0 run in the first half to put the game out of reach early on. The scrappy Tigers squad had its chances to keep the game close, but missed many open shots resulting in a horrific 29.2 field goal percentage.

“I thought by far it was the best game we’ve played,” coach Buzz Williams said. “I think that it was the best 37 minutes in November that we have played since I have been here.”

Marquette led 36-15 at the break behind a solid half from Buycks (10 points and eight rebounds) and support from unusual contributors Erik Williams and Chris Otule.

Otule recorded his first start as a Golden Eagle, and recorded five points and two rebounds. Otule got the nod in place of Joe Fulce who started the first two games but tonight came off the bench and scored five points in 21 minutes.

“He deserved the right to start,” Williams said about Otule receiving the nod. “We’ve got to find a way to get Chris to play, but it can’t exclusively be about matchups.”

For Grambling State, Ariece Perkins paced the team with 20 points and eight rebounds. Perkins committed seven turnovers and the Tigers turned it over 22 times in total.

“We’ve been practicing really well and harder than we ever have and defense is first,” Buycks said. “We feed off our defense and today it seemed like everything was on point and everyone gave it their all.”

Golden Eagle freshman Youssoupha Mbao saw his first collegiate action after sitting out the team’s first two games. He tallied one point and one assist.

Jimmy Butler led Marquette with 15 points going 4-of-5 from the field. Lazar Hayward picked up his 4th foul with 14 minutes remaining in the second frame and sat the rest of the game. Hayward chipped in 12 points, five rebounds and four assists.

The Golden Eagles were dominant on the boards, out-rebounding the Tigers 43-28.

Marquette is back in action Tuesday night at the Bradley Center against the South Dakota Coyotes.