Men’s basketball dominates MSOE

The Marquette men’s basketball team handled the MSOE Raiders as a superior team should, running away with the 106-47 victory in the team’s first and only exhibition game Saturday at the Bradley Center.

With six new faces and only one returning starter from last season, coach Buzz Williams used this game against an overmatched Raiders squad to spread the minutes around and find out who on his team could perform.

“We accomplished a lot of the things we wanted to try to get a feel for,” Williams said. “Giving an opportunity to all of those guys to play, in a lot of ways, was healthy.”

A number of Golden Eagles stepped up, as the team finished with five players in double figures.

Senior star Lazar Hayward led all scorers with 24 points, but junior transfer guard Dwight Buycks came in second in scoring with 15 points in 23 minutes. Buycks rarely handled the point guard duties against the Raiders but looked every part the scorer he was billed to be, crediting his two years of junior college experience as the main factor in his preparedness.

“The experience I had during college and the coach that I had, I think it helped me out a lot to get ready for what I was going to be approaching,” Buycks said.

He finished 5-of-7 from the field and 4-for-4 from the free throw line to go along with three rebounds, two assists and two steals.

Adding to the effort for Marquette was senior guard David Cubillan, who looked quite capable of running the point for the Golden Eagles, finishing with 12 points, nine assists and four steals.

Williams, however, said he still doesn’t believe Cubillan is a point guard, and from the sound of it, Cubillan doesn’t either.

“I don’t know what my role is going to be,” he said. “I’m just trying to play hard and be ready to play. I don’t know how many assists, how many points. I don’t know what I’m going to do before the game. I’m just trying to work hard and trying to help the team win.”

Sophomore center Chris Otule also made the most of his 16 minutes, finishing with 14 points and five rebounds. Williams said of everyone he saw on the floor today, Otule impressed him the most “just because he didn’t look like he dropped in from Mars.”

Marquette begins its regular season nonconference schedule Friday at the Bradley Center against Centenary College, with tipoff set for 7:30 p.m.