Blue verbally commits to MU

Vander BlueCoach Buzz Williams has done it again. In his second year as Marquette’s men’s basketball coach, the recruiting whiz has snagged yet another stellar recruit in shooting guard Vander Blue.

Blue, a senior at Madison Memorial High School, has verbally committed to play for Williams and Marquette next season. His decision comes about five months after he de-committed from the Wisconsin Badgers.

“I can’t say enough about what kind of person Vander is,” said Bruce Dahmen, the principal of Madison Memorial High School. “He has done great at Madison, and I know Buzz will be happy with this kid.”

Blue made his official visit to Marquette last weekend and was in attendance at Marquette Madness.

He originally committed to play under Bo Ryan and the Badgers at age 15, following his sophomore year of high school. After going back on his commitment, he kept Wisconsin on his list of prospective schools, but added Marquette, UCLA, Arizona and Florida, as well.

“Even as a former Badger, I’ll still be excited to see Vander play at Marquette next year,” said Tim Ritchie, the athletic director at Madison Memorial High School.

Blue is the No. 22 ranked high school player in the country according to rivals.com and is the No. 4-rated shooting guard according to scout.com.

“Vander is a great kid and we wish him all the best at Marquette,” Dahmen said. “Marquette really found a gem in Vander both on and off the court.”

At 6-foot-4, his size and agility will compliment the Golden Eagles’ backcourt well next season and give the team another scoring threat. Blue is Williams’ second recruit in the 2010-’11 class accompanying forward Jamail Jones of Montverde, Fla.

One of Blue’s best friends will be suiting up for the Golden Eagles this season, forward Jeronne Maymon. Maymon and Blue spent three years at Madison Memorial together and led their team to a 26-1 record and a Wisconsin state title championship last season.

“Jeronne has always looked at Vander as a little brother, and those two will work well together at Marquette as well,” Ritchie said.

Along with the state title, both Blue and Maymon were named first team all-state players. Blue averaged 17 points, 5.5 rebounds, 2.5 steals and 2.2 assists per game last season.

Another Marquette superstar who attended Madison Memorial a few years back was Wesley Matthews. Matthews was named Mr. Basketball in the state of Wisconsin in 2005 and was a standout for the Golden Eagles the past four seasons.

“Vander is very excited to go to Marquette,” Ritchie said. “We’ve had a great tradition of players from Madison with Wesley Matthews, Jeronne Maymon and now Vander.”

Due to NCAA rules, Blue and the current Marquette team were unable to comment on the situation until he signs with the team. He intends to sign with the Golden Eagles on Nov. 11, a date signifying the start of NCAA’s early signing period.

Tell us where you think the men’s and women’s basketball teams will finish in the Big East this season.