The Gaslight Anthem, a band that ‘just plain rocks’

Band worth checking out: The Gaslight Anthem

I learned about The Gaslight Anthem from ESPN.com’s music critic (and former pro basketball player) Paul Shirley. I listened to this band a ton this summer. I’m not sure if that had to do with the quality of their music, or the fact that I didn’t have an iPod adapter for my car and was forced to use primitive technology known as CDs. I only had a handful of them at home, but two that got the most rotation were The Gaslight Anthem’s full-length albums: “The ’59 Sound” and “Sink or Swim.”

Regardless, I got hooked.

The New Jersey quartet just plain rocks. Simple as that. They make you want to pump your fist, stomp your feet and belt out the lyrics while you’re driving in your car (or maybe that’s just me). Their songs drip with American imagery. They seem to take pride in drawing some of their style from fellow New Jerseyan Bruce Springsteen. And The Boss’ influence in their music is apparent.

The Gaslight Anthem has range, too. They bring the noise on most songs, but also have the ability to slow it down for softer ballads when the time is right.

Considering their energy, the best way to hear The Gaslight Anthem has got to be in person. I can’t confirm this, but you can. Check them out Sunday Oct. 4 at Turner Hall. Or you can have a quick listen on YouTube. Either way, let me know what you think.

Song suggestions: “Great Expectations” “Old White Lincoln” “Red At Night” “Meet Me By The River’s Edge.”