Men’s soccer redshirts provide needed boost

The Marquette men’s soccer team finished its preseason with a 4-2 win over Kentucky Friday afternoon at Valley Fields. The win earned the Golden Eagles an undefeated preseason after a draw against Valparaiso and an overtime victory against Michigan earlier this fall.

The Golden Eagles went undefeated last season during exhibition play as well, but struggled to continue their early form, managing only three wins during the season. However, this time around the mood in the Marquette camp is far more confident.

“We are a spirited team, but we still have a lot to learn,” said coach Louis Bennett, who is entering his fourth year at the helm. “But we are moving forward. Each time we found something we were deficient in, we have been able to correct it. But the success of this program is not about correcting errors after making a mistake; it’s about getting ahead of the game.”

The team’s new form was evident in its Friday game against the Wildcats. Passing was much more fluid and confident, and the players took their time on the ball, creating a lot of chances in front of goal. For the most part, Marquette dominated possession and out-shot its opponents 13-5.

“I like this team. I like their effort, and I like what they bring to the game,” Bennett said.

Bennett has noticed the big improvements in the squad.

“Last year we were nearly getting forward and nearly having opportunities,”  he said. “We had to bring in strikers. Are they the finished article? No, not yet.”

This season also marks the return of redshirt senior and captain Dan Addis and redshirt sophomore Scott Miller, who were both sidelined last season due to injuries.

“Miller is irreplaceable,” Bennet said. “He, for me, is a big time player. He allows us to play various combinations. Dan Addis hasn’t played in 16 months and he’s already scored.”

The true test for the Golden Eagles will come Tuesday night when they take on cross-town rival Wisconsin-Milwaukee in the Milwaukee Cup at Valley Fields. Marquette won the competition last season and assistant coach Stan Anderson believes his players are up to the challenge.

“We have the hardware,” Anderson said. “It’s just nice that it’s out of the way early. Right now there’s extreme confidence in our guys. We know they’re going to compete and that they’re going to compete well.”

Goalkeeper Matt Pyzdrowski, who used to play for the Panthers, was part of the team that beat UW-Milwaukee last season, 2-0.
“It creates a creative edge right from the start; bringing in our rivals, bringing in the Milwaukee Cup and just bringing an important game to get us going,” said Pyzdrowski.

But it is Big East play that continues to weigh on the players’ minds. The Golden Eagles have managed only two wins in the Big East under Bennett, both against Cincinnati.

“We are going to approach each game with a level of importance,” Bennett said. “Bearing in mind the Big East; the Big East is our goal.”
Anderson also sees the Big East as the main challenge and won’t allow the team’s recent form to make him overconfident.

“The reality is that Big East play is like playing a top-25 slate day-in day-out,” said Anderson. “Will these guys be able to do it? That will be their test.”