Women’s tennis brief

The women's team won the doubles point and two singles matches to start the the day but lost the final four matches to the Broncos.

Head Coach Jody Bronson said the team was disappointed with the loss to Western Michigan because they expected to win the game.,”The Marquette women's tennis team swept Ball State on Sunday 7-0 in Kalamazoo, Mich.

The sweep was the first win of the season for the Golden Eagles (1-4).

The match began well for Marquette, winning all three doubles matches to take the 1-0 lead.

The next three singles beat Ball State in two sets apiece. Freshman Christina Ruiz won 6-0, 6-0 against Ball State's Jennifer Pollack at No. 3 singles. Senior Maria Calbeto beat Haly Calderwood 6-3, 6-2 at No. 2 and finally freshman Elly Strother won the match for Marquette beating Katherine Rist 6-3.6-3 at No. 6.

The day before, Marquette lost to Western Michigan 4-3.

The women's team won the doubles point and two singles matches on Saturday but lost the final four matches to the Broncos.

Head Coach Jody Bronson said the team was disappointed with the loss to Western Michigan because they expected to win the game.

"We almost pulled it off," she said. "We have been preparing ourselves and looking forward to a winning season but we came up short. Then we made a statement against Ball State."

The doubles point was won with a collaborative effort from Calbeto and Ruiz who won 9-7 and senior Shannon Brown and junior Lauren Little who won 8-6 over Western Michigan.

The women won the two singles matches from junior Robin Metzler, who won 6-2, 6-3 and freshman Rachael Hush, who won 6-2, 6-2.

After that success, Western Michigan won four straight to finish the match.

This weekend the women's tennis team will travel to Iowa City, Iowa to play Iowa University on Friday and Bloomington, Ind. to play Indiana University.

"We are traveling a lot of miles this weekend," Bronson said. "Hopefully we will have a lot of team bonding."