Syracuse’s women’s basketball rises from bottom of standings

This year, however, Syracuse is off to an impressive start with only three losses overall and a 5-2 record in the Big East.,”Syracuse finished 9-20 overall last season and managed only three wins in conference play. The Orange finished second to last in the Big East standings.

This year, however, Syracuse is off to an impressive start with only three losses overall and a 5-2 record in the Big East. Earlier this season, Syracuse enjoyed a 12-game winning streak, the first in school history.

In his second year at the helm, head coach Quentin Hillsman has managed to turn around a struggling program.

The Orange are led by sophomore guard Nicole Michael (a recruit of Hillsman's) and junior guard Chandrea Jones. In the Orange's 80-52 rout of St. John's Saturday, Michael scored a season-high 20 points with eight rebounds and went 8-for-14 from the field in 26 minutes. Jones added 16 points and 11 rebounds, earning her sixth double-double of the season.

No. 22 Syracuse has done so well, in fact, that it is guaranteed to finish above .500 for the first time since the 2001-2002 season—the last time it qualified for the NCAA Tournament.

Shooting the lights out

Villanova may stand just 2-5 in Big East play, but its slow start is not due to poor perimeter shooting.

The Wildcats lead the Big East in three-point shooting percentage at 38.1 percent. Three players – Laura Kurz, Maria Getty and Lisa Karcic – are shooting higher than 40 percent from beyond the arc.

In Saturday's 63-54 loss at Rutgers, Villanova shot 50 percent (10-of-20) from three point range. Alas, the Wildcats were out-rebounded by 14 (34-20) and did not shoot a single free throw all game.

Above average

The Big East is the only conference out of 32 in the country in which each team has a record above .500.

Connecticut is on top with a 19-0 mark, while Cincinnati sits at the bottom of the standings with a 10-9 record.

The Big East is the first conference in the country to have all 16 teams claim at least 10 wins.