Doyle’s ‘state of the state’ addresses economic issues, smoking

Addressing a joint-session of the State Assembly and Senate in Madison tonight, the governor urged lawmakers to support his plans to grow the state's economy through tax credits for start-up businesses and companies that invest in research and development.,”In his sixth "State of the State" address since becoming governor, Jim Doyle outlined plans to grow Wisconsin's economy in light of economic woes nationwide.

Addressing a joint-session of the State Assembly and Senate in Madison tonight, the governor urged lawmakers to support his plans to grow the state's economy through tax credits for start-up businesses and companies that invest in research and development.

Acknowledging "a national economic slowdown," Doyle said some programs that legislators have agreed upon would have to be cut, though he was not specific on what programs might be affected.

It's unclear whether Wisconsin will face a budget shortfall, but Doyle said, "We too will face a very difficult fiscal situation."

Doyle also proposed an increase in the minimum wage to $7.25 from the current $6.50 level.

The governor proposed a plan to create a small business health insurance program he said would drive down costs by harnessing the purchasing power of businesses. The new "BadgerChoice" program would "create a consumer-driven health care marketplace for nearly 800,000 people," Doyle said.

Doyle again encouraged passage of a statewide smoking ban in public places, which he proposed last year. With legislatures in Minnesota and Illinois having passed bans, Doyle said he doesn't want Wisconsin to "become the ashtray of the Midwest."

After the speech, Assembly Speaker Michael Huebsch (R-West Salem) told Wisconsin Public Television that Republicans were likely to support many of Doyle's pro-business initiatives. It's uncertain if Doyle will also get support from fellow Democrats, who control the Senate.

The legislature is expected to adjourn in March.