Jesuit mission guides Marquette

You've found Marquette-a Catholic Jesuit university in the heart of Milwaukee.,”On any weekday, packs of students crowd Wisconsin Avenue on their way to and from class, often crossing the street without heeding the walk signals.

These students attend Marquette—a Catholic, Jesuit university in the heart of Milwaukee.

According to Dean of Undergraduate Admissions Roby Blust, Marquette's student body consists of about 11,000 students, of which roughly 7,500 are undergraduates. Blust also said 55 percent of students are women and 15 percent are minorities.

Blust said Marquette's urban location opens a wide range of opportunities to students and helps the university carry out its Jesuit mission. He said the location allows students to participate in a variety of service activities and help the community.

"Jesuit institutions are usually in places they can make the biggest difference," he said. "We can infuse that (Jesuit) identity into everything we do."

Daniel Hoskin, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences, said one of his reasons for coming to Marquette was because it is so involved in the surrounding community.

"The mission and emphasis on service is one of the main things that makes it stand out," he said.

Even though Marquette is a Catholic institution, Megan Wagner, a junior in the College of Business Administration, said religion isn't always a major part of daily life on campus.

"I guess when I first came here I expected a lot more people to go to Mass on Sunday and be just generally more involved in their faith," Wagner said. "Maybe people's faith is less church- and Mass-based (than mine) and that's cool too. I think everyone knew what they were signing up for when they came to Marquette."

Academically, Hoskin said he thinks the university grows stronger each year.

"I think this is a very strong, academically-charged university," he said.

Marquette students complete a core of common studies that Blust said, "ensures students have a baseline of common abilities central to every course of study we offer."

Wagner said she finds the curriculum challenging in a good way because she has learned more than she expected.

Jordan French, a freshman in the College of Health Sciences, said he thinks Marquette students take their academic careers seriously and said there always seems to be people in the library.

And even though a lot of time is spent studying, Hoskin said Marquette students still know how to have fun.

"The academics are just one important part of it," he said. "I'd say we're studious, but I'd also say we have a good time. Work hard, party hard."

When it comes to having fun, Marquette students said some stay close to campus, while others often take advantage of what Milwaukee has to offer.

"There's always something going on around campus as well as inside campus," French said.

While drinking is a social activity commonly associated with college life, Hoskin, Wagner and French all said it's not essential to having a social life at Marquette.

"Socially, I think we're hoppin,'" Wagner said. "I just don't participate so much (in drinking). Maybe I will when I turn 21, but right now it's just really not important to me."

Activities available on campus range from athletics to service groups and common-interest clubs. Blust said he thinks student involvement on campus is one of the main reasons students are happy at Marquette.

"Students tend to get involved deeply in a couple things and are very passionate about them," he said.

Hoskin, Wagner and French all said they are involved in at least one student organization.

"There's a ton of stuff," Wagner said. "If you want to be a member of something, there's an organization or club for it all."

When asked about student fashion at Marquette, Hoskin, Wagner and French said they don't think there is a typical "Marquette look."

"I've seen everything from sweatpants and sweatshirts to dressing up in a nice suit," Hoskin said. "I think it just depends on the person."

Wagner said she thinks freshmen tend to be more stylish than the rest of the student body, but wouldn't call everyone else sloppy.

"I feel like if I'm dressed better I'll do better and pay more attention," she said. "If I show up in my pajamas I feel like I'll fall asleep in class, so I generally don't. Jeans are pretty good for me."