GE mbballconferencepage2 SY1 JB2

G Corey Fisher – Villanova

Named the New Jersey Player of the Year while averaging 22.3 points per game in his senior season, this 6-foot-1 guard is expected to make an instant impact for the Wildcats.,”Three Freshmen to Watch

G Corey Fisher – Villanova

Named the New Jersey Player of the Year while averaging 22.3 points per game in his senior season, this 6-foot-1 guard is expected to make an instant impact for the Wildcats. Should be the next in line at a school known for its guard play in recent years.

F Donte' Green – Syracuse

After averaging 23.3 points and 12 rebounds during his senior season, the 6-foot-11 forward played for the USA Under-19 Team that won a silver medal at the World Championships. His size should allow him to hold his own against Big East competition even in his first season.

F Justin Burrell – St. John's

One of eight freshman on the RedStorm roster, Burrell should be given a chance to contribute in the post right away. A versitile player who averaged 23 points per game with four blocks and three assists during his senior season. The 6-foot-8 Burrell should be able to make mid-range jump shots as well.

Three Games To Watch

Cincinnati at West Virginia – Jan. 30

It's unlikely that either of these two teams will compete for a Big East title this season, but this game will not have a shortage of storylines. The big one? New West Virginia head coach Bob Huggins spent 16 seasons at the helm of Cincinnati, winning 399 games, before the Bearcats paid him approximately $3 million to leave.

Pittsburgh at Marquette – Feb. 15

The Golden Eagles scored two regular season wins over the Panthers by a total of seven points, including a 77-74 overtime win in Pittsburgh. However, Pittsburgh got the last laugh with an 89-79 win in the quarterfinals of the Big East tournament. With both teams in the preseason AP top 25, this ESPN game should be a close one.

Louisville at Georgetown – March 8

A late season contest pitting the teams ranked fifth and sixth respectively in the Associated Press preseason poll. The last regular season game for the Cardinals, this match-up in the nation's capital could have a say in who earns the No. 1 seed in the Big East Championship.

Three Guarantees

Despite their No. 11 preseason ranking in the AP poll, Marquette's reliance on Ousmane Barro in the post will doom the Golden Eagles come Big East tournament time. News that freshman Trevor Mbakwe will be out for the season with a knee injury doesn't help.

Roy Hibbert, the 7-foot-2 center from Georgetown, will show more polish in his senior season, upping his conference scoring average from 13.3 last season, to at least 18 points per game this year. Hibbert will also be a dominating force on the boards, justifying his preseason Big East Player of the Year status.

With four teams (Georgetown, Louisville, Marquette and Pittsburgh) ranked in the preseason AP top 25 and a few others (Villanova, Syracuse and Connecticut) narrowly missing out, the Big East will lead all conferences in NCAA bids this season, placing eight teams in the tournament in March.