Campus debates over health care

The nation's ill could be lining up at the state border to receive health care if a new Wisconsin health care proposal is passed by the state legislature, according to speakers at a debate held by the College Republicans and College Democrats of Marquette Tuesday night.

The issue in question was a proposed health care reform plan known as "Healthy Wisconsin." According to the Wisconsin Department of Health and Family Services, a "Healthy Wisconsin" council was set up by Gov. Jim Doyle in July 2006 to compose a new health care plan that would guarantee every Wisconsin resident the right to health care access and reduce costs.

"We really do have a broken system that needs fixing," said Robert Kraig, communications and program director of Citizen Action of Wisconsin, a group that strives to elect progressive candidates into public office. "The question is how do we go about doing it?"

Along with Kraig, the College Democrats invited Therese Lysaught, associate professor of theology, to speak on their behalf. The College Republicans invited state Rep. Leah Vukmir (R-Wauwatosa), and Gerald Frye, president of the Benefit Services Group, which specializes in the insurance and employee benefits industry.

The discussion was a panel-style debate in which each speaker was given five minutes to make opening remarks. Panelists also gave two-minute rebuttals, answered audience questions and provided two-minute closing remarks. More than 40 people attended the event at the Alumni Memorial Union.

"We are at a very critical juncture in health care reform," Vukmir said.

The four speakers agreed that Wisconsin health care is in need of reform—but that was the only thing the two sides agreed on.

Kraig and Lysaught supported "Healthy Wisconsin," while Vukmir and Frye said the state would become a magnet for the uninsured if the proposal is ever passed.

Vukmir said she does not believe in a government solution to health care and that she opposes the "Healthy Wisconsin" plan. She said Wisconsin health care is already among the best in the nation and a solution to some of the problems is to bring competition down to the transaction level between patients and their health care providers.

"Government programs take away our ability to take care of other people," Vukmir said. She said government control would take away from the patients by jeopardizing hospital quality and that the people need to be in control of their own health care.

But Kraig disagreed. He said he strongly supports the "Healthy Wisconsin" plan and said it is an effective way to reduce health care costs and would guarantee the choice of health care to everyone in Wisconsin.

Kraig said unlike socialized health care systems in Canada and Europe, the proposal would promote both public and private health care plans. He said the current system provides very little choice and the practice of employers offering health care is becoming less common.

"I think Wisconsin can be proud of having come up with this solution," Kraig said. He said the government needs to step in as a watchdog and protector for those who need health care.

Frye, on the other hand, said the current health care system is among the best in the world. He said Wisconsin ranks No. 1 in hospital quality in the country.

"We do not need to become a health care provider for everyone," Frye said. He said the cost is the biggest problem and health care has unlimited demand so it is important to provide the amount of needed care rather than the amount of wanted care. He said the state would experience one of the largest state level tax increases in the country if the proposal were passed.

Lysaught addressed the issue from a Catholic point of view. She said there is no such thing as an "individual" Christian, but rather all Christians care for each other and share with those in need.

She said the "Healthy Wisconsin" plan is about taking care of the poor and underprivileged and that it is the people and the government's job alike to ensure that the basic needs of all persons are met.

Matt Cashman, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences, served as moderator of the debate and said he was pleased with the turnout of the event. He said the debate was evenly matched and he was impressed with the "standing room only."