‘I absolutely love this job’, Barrett discusses his role as mayor

As Milwaukee faces urban problems of crime, unemployment and poverty, Mayor Tom Barrett says he's dealing with the "nitty-gritty" of taking on the challenges of the country's 25th biggest city.

"I use this word not as a positive word or a negative word—this is a very gritty job," Barrett said. "It's how do you make a city run, how do you keep the city functioning."

Barrett was elected in 2004 as the 40th mayor in the city's history. He is currently running unopposed in the April 2008 mayoral election and was formally endorsed last week by the Democratic Party of Milwaukee County.

The city's biggest challenge, Barrett said, is transforming the local economy. Despite a loss of manufacturing jobs, Barrett said the city is moving in the right direction, and is now creating more jobs and housing.

"We focus on jobs, education, public safety and try to create hope in young people's lives," Barrett said. "Those are the challenges, and there are enough challenges that I don't fall asleep from boredom sitting at my desk."

Dealing with crime has become a large part of the mayor's agenda, and Barrett said he is looking for a new police chief who will be proactive and aggressive in leading the fight against it.

Current Chief Nannette Hegerty, who is retiring, has said her last day will be Nov. 16.

Barrett said he has conducted interviews with all five police chief candidates, all of who appeared at a City Hall public forum last week. The Fire and Police Commission is conducting background checks on the candidates, and its decision could come in the next few days, Barrett said.

"Frankly what I'm looking for is a chief who can come in, hit the ground running, and roll up his or her sleeves and help us move forward," Barrett said.

While Barrett may talk tough on crime, others say he isn't doing enough. Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke Jr. has criticized the mayor's approach to fighting crime. In a Sept. 6 e-mail to WTMJ-AM radio host Charlie Sykes, Clarke called the mayor "Tom 'everything is beautiful' Barrett."

Alderman Bob Donovan, who represents the 8th District, has also criticized the mayor's handling of crime. In a statement last week, Donovan said Barrett "still doesn't seem to have a plan to do something about (violence), other than perhaps offering yet another impotent response that amounts to giving a strip of Band-Aids to a cancer victim."

In response to Donovan, Barrett said, "I think there's a lot of people who sit on the sidelines, and I think it was Grandpa who used to say, 'The empty wagon makes the most noise,' and I think that probably would apply here."

Donovan said he doesn't deny that the mayor is trying.

"I think Milwaukee is in a position where we need some bold, decisive leadership and I just haven't seen that coming from the Mayor's Office," Donovan said.

Donovan said he has considered a run for mayor before, but right now wants to remain as alderman.

Clarke, who ran and lost against Barrett and then-Acting Mayor Marvin Pratt in the 2004 mayoral primary election, did not return calls at deadline.

While the position of mayor is non-partisan, Barrett's party endorsed him for mayor "right away" considering he is a Democratic incumbent, said Dave Redemann, spokesman for the Democratic Party of Milwaukee County. After eight years in the Wisconsin Legislature and 10 years in the U.S. Congress, Barrett could have a long career at City Hall, Redemann said.

Elected to the U.S. Congress in 1992, Barrett served five terms in Wisconsin's 5th Congressional District, which includes Milwaukee. Comparing the two positions, Barrett said in his job as mayor, there are several decisions made that have a much more immediate impact on people's lives.

"After I left Washington, I came back here and realized I still had the fire in the belly for public service. I thought, 'Let's see if we can make a difference in this city,' and that's how I jumped in the race," he said.

Katherine Headley, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences who fields calls from citizens as an intern in the Mayor's Office, said Barrett is aware of the calls that come into the office.

And whether a call is a compliment or complaint, Headley said, "Even the ones who are angry recognize that he's a genuinely nice guy."

Born in Milwaukee and raised on the city's west side, the 53-year-old Barrett said he hopes he can be mayor for another four years.

"I absolutely love this job. There's not a day that goes by when I don't pinch myself and think that it's a great honor to be the mayor of my hometown," Barrett said. "I absolutely love it."