MU’s Halloween gaining on Madison

Everyone knows that Madison is the place to go for a crazy Halloween celebration.,”There may not be any tear gas and our State Street is not blocked off and filled with thousands of people in crazy costumes like Madison's State Street, but some students say Marquette is still a good place to be during Halloween weekend.

Adam Buettner, a junior in the College of Business Administration, said he wished he stayed at Marquette last weekend instead of going to Madison. He said his Halloween weekend consisted mainly of walking around the University of Wisconsin-Madison campus and finding only a few "terrible" parties.

"Marquette was definitely better," Buettner said. He said some of Marquette's advantages are finding places to party and not having to pay to walk down a street.

Buettner said Halloween in Madison was much more fun his first visit two years ago. He said this year there were less people and he did not want to go to State Street because he did not want to pay the $7 admission fee

He also said one of his friends got in a fight at Madison during the weekend. He said this would not have happened at Marquette, which is another reason why he wished he stayed.

Despite the commonly held belief that Madison is the place to go for a crazy Halloween celebration, Logan Schaefer, a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences, said the fun level has been declining the last few years.

"It used to be so good," Schaefer said. He said it has become more difficult to find big house parties while wandering the streets of Madison during Halloween weekend.

"Now you either have to know where to go or know people in Madison who know where to go," he said.

Schaefer said he went to Madison for Halloween six years in a row, beginning his freshman year of high school. He said there used to be no comparison between Halloween in Madison and here at Marquette.

Now, According to Schaefer, Marquette Halloween has become a downscaled version of Madison, meaning smaller parties and not as many police officers.

After staying at Marquette for Halloween weekend this year, Schaefer said he would still rather go to Madison because he "knows what it can be."

But other students disagree.

Kyle Oren, a junior in the College of Business Administration, said he went to Madison for Halloween for the first time last weekend. Like Buettner, he said it was a disappointing experience.

"For supposedly being a gigantic party school, Madison doesn't know how to live up to it," Oren said.