STAFF EDITORIAL: Adjunct professors deserve much better

Class instructors with up-to-date, real-world experience are invaluable to students as they apply for summer internships and full-time, post-graduation employment. Having come from the working world, they are well-informed on current job markets and maintain connections with their industries to the benefit of Marquette students.

It's time for the university to compensate adjunct professors for all that they offer.

The university does not currently offer adjunct professors who teach two courses health and dental benefits. While some part-time faculty hold other jobs that provide benefits, many professors reside in a limbo of teaching — they are not full-time, tenure-track professors, but they are retained by the university as permanent adjuncts. The university's Faculty Council is currently debating whether to recommend that Marquette offer benefits to such faculty members. We strongly believe the university has practical and moral obligations to its staff, and permanent adjunct faculty should be offered both health and dental benefits.

According to the American Federation of Teachers, 20 percent of university instructors are adjunct professors. An April 7 Faculty Council memo reports that half of Marquette's theology courses are taught by adjuncts.

The same report states: "It is undeniable that Marquette University has some obligation to its adjuncts. In situations where a particular adjunct teaches a minimum of two courses per year, and teaches those courses on a regular basis, that adjunct is an integral part of the MU 'community.'"

The university demands no less of adjuncts than it does of tenured or tenure-track professors. Adjuncts teach, grade and informally advise students; they oversee clinical instruction and assist with department research. Most importantly, adjunct professors are often recruited to teach because they are well-regarded in their industries. Adjunct and part-time professors are often the link between academia and the practical application of the education students receive from Marquette.

In addition, Marquette has an ethical obligation to its faculty that it must uphold. In hard economic times, the university should do all it can to provide for adjunct and part-time professors.

We believe some adjuncts, such as those who teach a small, one-time course, are compensated fairly. (After all, Marquette professors are already among the highest-paid at Wisconsin universities and at similar, out-of-state universities, such as Loyola University Chicago.)

Rather, the concern is for those instructors who teach regularly and have developed long-term, working relationships with the university. It is in Marquette's best interest to ensure these instructors are fairly compensated. Students are better off for their service, and it is the university's duty to treat adjuncts fairly.