BULLOCK: Marquette should share the wealth

There are a lot of things in this world that I don't really care for. People that take the time to poor syrup into each individual square on a waffle before eating; Quentin Tarantino films; and peas, just to name a few.

But one thing that really burns my toast is when I see Dwyane Wade paraphernalia strewn all over this campus and any advertisement related to this university.

Actually, I should rephrase that. It bothers me that only Wade is featured so prominently. I mean, there are a number of other talented players who still attend this school that deserve some of that fame.

Wade isn't even the only former Marquette player in the NBA. And if your argument is he is the only good one, well, then you haven't been paying much attention.

Steve Novak, who was drafted by the Houston Rockets in 2006 with the 32nd overall pick, was traded in the NBA off-season to the Los Angeles Clippers in what was seen as a salary dump by the Rockets. While he had a better chance of earning minutes in L.A. than in Houston, it took extensive injuries to most of the Clippers' roster to push him into an increased role.

When more minutes came, however, Novak didn't disappoint. From the start of the new year onward, Novak has averaged a cool 46.1 percent from the field and 43.8 percent from 3-point range.

Although the 6-foot-10, 220-pound small forward is fairly limited in other areas, his ability to come in off the bench and provide instant offense forced the Clippers coaching staff to give him more playing time.

"He is the best shooter I've ever seen," former teammate Tracy McGrady said following a 2006 practice, according to www.nba.com. "I don't care if he can do anything else. He can shoot and I love the way he shoots. I don't care if he can't dribble, he can't rebound, can't play defense, the man can shoot the ball."

What McGrady forgot is that Novak can also dunk, as witnessed at Marquette Madness his senior year.

All joking aside, Novak is one of only seven players in the NBA to make more than 40 percent of his 3-pointers and more than 50 percent of his 2-pointers, putting him with the likes of Steve Nash and Ray Allen.

Now, I'm not saying Novak deserves his own shoe or his own commercials. What I am saying is Dwyane Wade was not the only athlete to pass through this school worth praising.

Jerel McNeal was recently named an Associated Press Second Team All-American. Wesley Matthews was one of the few recognizable names to participate in the 21st Annual State Farm College Slam Dunk & 3-Point Championships at this year's Final Four. Despite their less than desirable season, Angel Robinson, Krystal Ellis and Jessica Pachko each earned All-Big East accolades. Just Tuesday Mike Van Sickle shot a tournament record 16-under-par 200 to win the Palisades Collegiate Classic. Following the women's soccer team's fall season, Katie Kelly was selected as an All-American by Soccer Buzz, while she and teammates Shannon Cusick and Natalie Kulla earned All-Great Lakes regional recognition.

No, none of these players are as marketable as Wade, with his stylish Band-Aids and his Olympic gold medal. But I'm not talking about pushing merchandise.

I recently found myself on the fourth floor of the Memorial Library, and when I went to look up a book on the computer, wouldn't you know it, a picture of Dwyane in the library was hopping from place to place across the black screen.

Really? Can't we throw someone else's mug up there? Not mine. Maybe Novak's. Or maybe one of the other nearly 200 student athletes at Marquette.