Archbishop Dolan takes over in New York

• Archbishop Dolan will be installed on April 14 and 15 as the archbishop of New York.
  • On April 20, a diocesan administrator will be elected to fill Dolan's place until a new archbishop is chosen.
  • The process of appointing a new archbishop typically takes six months to a year.

As Archbishop Timothy M. Dolan is installed tomorrow as the new archbishop of New York, Milwaukee is left waiting for his replacement.

Until a new archbishop is appointed, a diocesan administrator will govern the Archdiocese of Milwaukee, said Julie Wolf, communications director for the archdiocese. She said the work of the archdiocese goes on.

The College of Consulters will meet on April 20 to elect the diocesan administrator, she said.

It is likely that Auxiliary Bishop Richard J. Sklba or Auxiliary Bishop William P. Callahan of the Archdiocese of Milwaukee will be elected for this position, Wolf said.

The diocesan administrator is able to sign checks and make some decisions, but he cannot make decisions with long-term consequences, said the Rev. Steven Avella, Marquette history professor.

The administrator will be the temporary face of the diocese, he said.

Wolf said it typically takes six months to a year for a new archbishop to be picked.

No one really knows who will be picked or when it will happen, Avella said.

Avella said Archbishop Pietro Sambi, apostolic nuncio (or papal ambassador) to the United States, will oversee part of the selection process. Avella said he will probably launch some sort of consultation with names beginning to

surface as Sambi asks priests and other church leaders for their opinions.

Sambi will then vet the candidates and go through their backgrounds, Avella said. Eventually, he will send names to Rome.

The Congregation for Bishops makes the decision that the Pope signs off on, he said.

The new archbishop is usually notified about the decisions a week before it is announced, Avella said. He said the chosen candidate is sworn to secrecy.

"Generally, they don't turn it down," he said.

Avella said if the Vatican's choice is not already a bishop, he must be ordained as one before the installation takes place.

Wolf said during this process the Archdiocese of Milwaukee just waits until the Pope tells them what is next.

Cindy Bock, a member of Lumen Christi Catholic Church in Mequon, 11300 N. St James Lane, said Dolan is going to be a hard act to follow.

Bock said she is a little concerned about who will replace Dolan and if the rapport he created will continue.

"There's no doubt he's going to be greatly missed," Wolf said. "Most people realize that he's meant for bigger things and we need to share him with the rest of the world."

Avella said the new archbishop needs to be a holy and truthful man who is sincere in his desire to serve God. If he is not, he's going to have a hard time pulling this off, he said.

The new archbishop needs to be a real person who has a finger on parishes' pulse and what is going on, Bock said.

Avella said it would be good if the new archbishop is a Midwesterner because he would understand the culture. There is a lot to be said about being a leader in your region, he said.

He needs to be a good preacher who is credible with the priests he will have to manage, Avella said.

The new archbishop also needs to be a good administrator so he can properly handle the archdiocese's funds, he said.

Bock said she prefers that the Vatican take its time to find the best archbishop for Milwaukee. She said whenever you are filling an important position, you need to take your time and do it right.