STAFF EDITORIAL: New MUSG should strive for transparency

In the Marquette Student Government presidential debate last month, both tickets promised more transparency within MUSG regarding communication with student media. Now that Henry Thomas and Stephanie Stopka have taken office, we strongly suggest the pair follow up on their pledge and reverse MUSG's current communications policy.

It's difficult to make significant changes on campus in just one academic year, so time is of the essence. Fortunately, reversing the current policy, which was introduced by the Redlingshafer administration last year, will be an easy change with important results.

Under the current policy, MUSG senators are directed to filter their contact with student media through the MUSG communications office. While senators are not punished for speaking freely with student media, the current policy has contributed to a contentious atmosphere between the two organizations.

MUSG argues that the policy allows student government to best articulate its message.

But MUSG senators shouldn't parrot a uniform message. Senators — just like those in the state and federal government — are elected to represent the concerns of their constituents. Asking senators to adhere to such a policy misrepresents the essence of their job and feeds a mistrustful regard of media. Of course, senators can communicate with whichever aspects or members of student media they choose. But senators should always be allowed to make those decisions themselves.

We admit we have a direct stake in this policy. The Tribune believes the newspaper does its best work when reporters and editors are given unfettered access to student government. The MUSG-student media relationship is intended to be a microcosm of the government-media interaction that plays out at the city, state and federal levels. Students with futures in media must develop the skills that will allow them to cover government in their future careers. Similarly, senators hoping to win elected office after graduation must learn to effectively communicate with journalists.

The Tribune and other student media outlets are not out to get MUSG. But part of being elected to student government is opening oneself up to evaluation and critique. The Tribune's news reporting seeks to provide unbiased coverage of MUSG's policies, and our editorializing is meant to hold student government accountable for those actions. If senators or students believe we have failed in these endeavors, we invite anyone to submit their opinions to these pages.

Unfortunately, in his first official MUSG meeting as president, Thomas failed to show he understands the consequences of retaining Redlingshafer's communications policy. We are incredibly disappointed, and we remind Thomas that there is still time to keep his campaign promise. An open student government depends primarily on a trusting, respectful relationship between MUSG and student media. We hope the new administration follows through on its promise of transparency.