BULLOCK: Not a drastic dropoff for men’s basketball

Last week, I stated that next season's Marquette men's basketball team would not regress as much as some may think.

Since the statement came in the form of a four-question debate, I only had room for a 70-word response, which is not nearly enough.

So let me give the extended version:

Lazar Hayward was one of the most, if not the most underrated player in the Big East this season. It's really not surprising considering who surrounded him; Dwight Burke casts a long shadow.

The reality is Hayward was one of only two players — Notre Dame's Luke Harangody being the other — to end the season top-10 in the Big East in both scoring (10th with 16.3 points per game) and rebounding (seventh with 8.6 rebounds per game).

All year long, the junior proved to be a match-up problem for every team Marquette faced. Those 8.6 boards and his point percentage of 35.8 were the reason the Golden Eagles' small-ball approach was so successful.

"That fourth guy on the perimeter, it's the only way you can create space really," DePaul coach Jerry Wainwright said after Hayward dropped 16 points and 17 rebounds against his Blue Demons on Jan. 24. "I watched (Hayward) against Providence…he was fundamental in winning the game by making threes in the corner."

Another guy that will ease the departure of the "Big Three" is Jimmy Butler. After surprising everyone (including his coach) with his improvement over the course of the season, the swingman will now enter his junior year as one of Marquette's key contributors.

It's unclear whether coach Buzz Williams thinks Butler's consistent production warrants a staring job next season. But judging by the 55 minutes he received in two NCAA Tournament games this season, I think it is a safe bet that he will see big minutes no matter if he is coming off the bench or not.

Butler said he plans to work extensively on his jump shot during the off-season. The rest of his game is already sound enough where if he holds true to his word, and can improve enough as an outside shooter to at least keep defenses honest, he could very well be in line for a breakout season.

The rest of the Marquette lineup is a bit more ambiguous. And by a bit, I mean a lot.

Indian Hills Community College transfer Dwight Buycks looks the most likely candidate to take Jerel McNeal's two-guard spot. The 6-foot-3, 185-pound junior has a scorer's mentality but is capable of manning the point at times, Williams said.

My guess is that Maurice Acker will be named the team's starting point guard to begin the season, but it won't be long before freshman Junior Cadougan steals the job.

Incoming freshman Erik Williams looks to be Butler's biggest competition to start at the three, and fellow recruit Jeronne Maymon, along with current sophomore Joseph Fulce, will likely see considerable time at the four-spot while Hayward continues to play the five.

I would say Chris Otule and Liam McMorrow — true centers — might steal some of those minutes, but I think Williams proved this season that he will opt for talent at a particular position over adhering to traditional size expectations.

Honestly, I don't see too much difference between next year's team and the 2005-'06 team that finished 20-11.

In case you don't remember, that was the Steve Novak-led squad that had the "Big Three" average 28.6 minutes per game as freshmen. Both teams will have an established senior that played a lesser role on a talented team, both will have an impressive group of new players and both have relatively low expectations put upon them.

Well, not by me.