Running for cancer research

• Spring Thaw raised over $1,000 for cancer research on Saturday.
  • Participants ran and walked the Marquette Mile three times.
  • The money raised will go toward Midwest Athletes Against Childhood Cancer.

Midwest Athletes Against Childhood Cancer has one concept when it comes to raising money for cancer research: "a good time for a good cause."

Marquette students embodied this approach Saturday at the 2nd Annual Spring Thaw 5K Fun Run/Walk. The event had more than 100 registered participants and raised more than $1,000 for cancer research, according said Sarah Weiss, a senior in the College of Health Sciences and president of the Athletic Training Student Association.

ATSA organized the event, which took place Saturday afternoon and was composed of three laps around the "Marquette Mile." Participants began at Raynor Bridge, and circled around campus on the sidewalks of Wisconsin Avenue and Clybourn, 11th and 16th Streets.

Spring Thaw is an event that colleges throughout Wisconsin take part in during March, which is National Athletic Training Month. ATSA holds Marquette's Spring Thaw during the first week of April because the weather tends to be nicer. Although the temperature was around 50 degrees on Saturday afternoon, the sun was out.

ATSA chose to donate its proceeds to MACC and the National Athletic Trainers' Association. A small portion will also go to ATSA.

"It has been a great way for the students of the athletic training program to get together outside of the classroom and help support good causes," Weiss said.

John Cary, the executive director of MACC, said 80 percent of children with cancer survive due to the financial support MACC has received throughout the years.

"The MACC Fund is really lucky to be a part of this," he said.

Caitlin Bender, a junior in the College of Health Sciences and ATSA secretary, helped organize the event. While ATSA primarily targets Marquette students and people in the Milwaukee area, Bender said the Spring Thaw provided ATSA a "chance for us to make a difference in young athlete's lives."

Former Milwaukee Bucks player Jon McGlockin and radio announcer Eddie Doucette founded MACC in 1976. The organization has since contributed $33 million to pediatric cancer research.

MACC receives most of its funds via special events such as Spring Thaw. MACC contributes the funds to the Midwest Children's Cancer Center and Wisconsin's Paul P. Carbone Comprehensive Cancer Center.

Bender said the ATSA members feel passionate about giving back to the community. Spring Thaw "is just one way we can do that," she said.